Real quick, here's some stuff I've been wanting to do many daylogs on, but have not had the time. Shibang, shiboom, here they are, a good daylog for anybody with ADD:

  • So Tuesday of last week I got an email from a company called Roundedcube.com saying they had a position open and they liked my stuff. I had emailed them a resume back in August during a mass desperate emailing of every frickin web design company in the area. I really, really needed to get out of my current job, for financial reasons and more. So, yes, I finally got the email I was looking for and it surprised me a bit, as I'd been expecting emails from school districts I'd queried about art teaching positions. Anyway, there were some emails back and forth and I got an interview for that Friday. I NAILED IT! I was nervous that day at work in the hours leading up to the interview - I had to lie and say I was going to a doctor's appointment - but once I got there I felt totally comfortable, I felt like I fit in there. And Monday morning, Marco, the CEO, called my cell phone and told me I had the job! I put in my two week notice and my last day at my current job is Monday, October 31. Yeah, Halloween, weird day to be a last day - also weird because it's a Monday - after a weekend I go back to my current job for just one more day. Oh well. I'm excited, this is the job I've been waiting for. It has great pay and an actual possibility of getting a raise at some point! And this new gig, they have this thing called "benefits." Benefits...hmmm, what's that? Anyway, it's gonna save my ass from becoming broke! Things are looking up!
  • My son is walking now! Yay! He walks all over the place. He does a lot of falling on his little behind, but he's getting the hang of it. Right now he walks like he's had a little too much tequila.:) But at least he's doing it more than crawling. At nearly 15 months, seems as though he was well overdue. And he's expanding his vocabulary. Now he can say "momma," "mommy," "dada," "daddy," "hi," and "toppit." Toppit, we think, is baby for "stop it." Hmmm...
  • Watching my Cardinals get dispatched by the Houston Astros really chapped my ass. Monday night was great, obviously, that Albert Pujols home run (neener neeener neener, Houston fans!) Maybe a rant on the whole wild card system in the MLB is meant for another node, but lemme just say this: a team that St. Louis soundly beat in the regular season for the Central Division, a team that was under .500 most of the season, 15 below at one point, doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs. Winners go to the playoffs, not losers. The World Series shouldn't be about the teams that suddenly got hot in October. Same thing happened to the Cards last year with the goddamn "Bosox" in the World Series. Go White Sox! (Sheesh, never thought I'd hear myself rooting for a frickin' Chicago team!) It's time to get out the wrecking ball, goodbye old Busch Stadium.
  • Speaking of losers... things look pretty bad for my Blues. I think their 25-year playoff streak will be coming to an unceremonious end. They're 2-5 so far, miles behind the damn Nashville Predators of all teams - a club the Blues used to own. If they don't right their ship soon it's gonna sink. All St. Louis has is these guys and the Lambs (sorry, I meant "Rams") until Spring Training starts again. It's gonna be a depressing five months for St. Louis sports fans.
  • There's some really good television shows out there right now. NBC's Medium and WB's Supernatural. Two excellent shows. Neither are 100% original, but they've so far been able to take concepts we've already seen but do something new and unexpected with them, Medium especially. Supernatural is like the X-Files, but scarier and creepier, even darker than the darkest Mulder and Scully adventures. (Do NOT watch this one with your little kids, it even really freaks my wife out.) But Medium, I cannot say enough about this show. It surprises me every episode, its originality and creativeness. Each episode tops the previous. I'm beginning to wonder how much longer they can keep it up. It's bar none the best show on TV right now. Check it out. Mondays, NBC, 10PM EST, 9PM CST.
  • I can't wait until November 1! Man I am excited. I am more excited about this job more than any other job I've ever had.
  • I'm also excited about attending my first noder meet next weekend. Unfortunately I have to bug out early. My wife is so old school about some things, sometimes it's why I love her so much, other times it's why she bugs me. She has apprehension about going place to meet folks you've never met before, i.e. internet people. I'm preaching to the choir here, I know, but I don't see what the big deal is. We meet people all the time we haven't met before, the first meeting has to be sometime. What's the difference if you meet them on the internet first? We talk to people first on the phone all the time before meeting them. Maybe it bugs her mostly because I'm going to sleep in a total stranger's house Friday night. All right, granted, that is a bit odd for me; I'll have to make sure then, the hours before I retire for sleep that night, I get to know Wiccanpiper so well I'll feel like I've known him for years.:)

Tthat's it. Well, I can't wait for Halloween, either; not only is it my last day at my current job, but I always love the holiday. It's my second favorite. Somehow we're going to take our son trick-or-treating for the first time and give out candy. It's going to be a neat "trick." If you know any magic spells that can split me in two for one night, you Wiccas out there just let me know.:)

Hold your hands apart like you're deciding whether to buy a honeydew melon. That's how big my mom's kidney tumor got.

How does a woman walk around with a tumor the size of a young papaya sprouting from her kidney? Well, she doesn't do much walking, for one thing. She falls asleep when she sits, develops depression and anemia.

Here's the thing that has me scratching my head. Mom's been treated for diabetes for years, by the same doctor, and the same nurse practitioner. She's been seeing a chiropractor. She's been regular with a primary care physician. Where were these people for the past seven years while this gourd has been eating my mother alive?

This reminds me of the time mom almost lost her ten month old baby daughter (me)to gastroenteritis. She brought a fairly sick and fussy baby to the pediatrician and timidly asserted that the child didn't seem healthy. The doctor dismissed her worry as over-protective mothering and assured her that baby was fine, fine and would be a real tornado as soon as this little ague passed. It wasn't until said baby became dangerously dehydrated and had herself a seizure or two that the doctor admitted something was wrong.

Except that now, more than one selectively-deaf know-all has determined that a woman barely into her sixties who can't walk around the block, who envies hurricane victims who've been swept away to their deaths, who sleeps two-thirds of her life away, has nothing seriously wrong with her. She's fine, fine, as soon as they get the right blood sugar balance, as soon as they get the right anti-depressant, as soon as she stirs herself and gets more exercise, she'll be a real tornado.

No. No. No she won't just get better on her own if someone ignores her long enough. And by the way, she has a husband. Does he not watch? Does he not see? Does he not ask questions? For all his vaunted devotion to her and his marriage, he has a better eye for a modern repair to an antique framing plane than for his wife's health. This is the man who thinks that racing ahead of her is the way to motivate his wife to shake off her malaise. I wonder, did his back look like abandonment to mom? And did that make her ignore her own needs because she figured that it wasn't important?

What a useless round of "The Blame Game" that is, though. Cancer happens. If the oncologists knew why, I firmly believe they'd tell us how to stop it and turn to specializing in Geriatrics, knowing that more people would grow old in a cancer-free world.

But for now, I wish doctors would assume that a patient in New Jersey has cancer until proven otherwise. Things are more treatable that way. And I wish that doctors would listen to my mother. And I wish my father would pay attention to her, too.

I am a fledgling publisher

I intend to publish what people indicate they want to read, rather than trying to make them want to read what I want to publish. I believe this anti-advertising stance is rare and valuable.

When I started on E2, I thought it was great to have a place where you could just be altruistic. Then I discovered that I need money to live, and the more I could get, the more I would be able to change things for the better. I found E2 while looking for websites that leveraged the connectedness of the Internet because I saw it as a way to rapidly increase the well-being of the human race. But as long as writing the great stuff that's here doesn't put food on the table, people are going to spend a lot of time doing something that does. That means less quality thoughts are written, shared, and helping to increase our well-being.

I see that E2 has had 103 users today. It gets this kind of usage every day because it provides something valuable. It provides the kind of value that is rare and beautiful and nearly impossible to buy. Too often, when it can be bought, those providing it become "sellouts". I see selling out as a result of the instinct to herd on the part of the consumers from whom the money is coming. We follow our leaders because it makes us safe. When those leaders recognize their position, they exploit our desire for security. E2's beauty comes from a general sense of leaderlessness. We all tend to make our own way here.

By now you are perhaps sensing where I'm going. I'm guessing that some E2 users will be disgusted by the idea that E2 could put food on the tables of the best E2 users - the ones who inspire, teach, and improve us the most. I believe that E2 cannot legally earn a profit. Both of these things - the disgust and the legal prohibition of profit - are outgrowths of the age-old misconception that earning money is a dirty business. It is not.

People earn money by doing things we like. There is another group of people who get a lot of money, but they don't actually "earn" the money; they just take it from us and call it "taxes" or they use advertising to get us to want what they have to sell. They are the leaders who have recognized and decided to exploit our herding instincts.

So my argument is that we should be happy to identify and reward those who inspire, teach, and improve us the most through their efforts here. I wrote all this to introduce the following announcement:

Litmocracy.com is publishing the E2 September 11, 2001 book

Litmocracy is my website and I'm doing this out of my own self-interest. I also have promised to donate $1 to E2 for every user who uses my site for at least a month. All profits will go to the E2 donation box, but hopefully my efforts will provide me with the kind of exposure that will eventually put food on my table.

If it isn't November 1st yet, it isn't too late to suggest any changes to the first edition. Aside from the daylogs whose authors have permitted me to use them (as indicated in the writeup), there isn't much to the book:
  • The title is Everything2 Remembers September 11, 2001
  • Writeups are chronological
  • Authors are indexed alphabetically.
  • Davidian wants me to use his real name, but I don't know it.
If you can contact anyone who has a writeup from that day and they allow me to include their writeup, that would be great. The writeups of SEF and graceness no longer exist, although they gave me permission to use them.

Some users mentioned using their real name, but not as a requirement. If you would like me to use your real name, please let me know. As it is now, I cannot publish it until Davidian tells me his real name, and all other authors are identified by their E2 username.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.