Christs of the Old World

Looking just at Eurasia, some common figures with rites very similar to that of Christianity who are often quoted to closely resemble Jesus Christ and Dionysus are the god Osiris of Egypt, the prophet Zoroaster of Persia, and Buddha. The prevalence of such stories seems to bolster the idea of parallelism, but it is not as simple as that. There are many implications that the myths of several of the aforementioned figures are either directly related genetically to one another or that the Jews were exposed to them pre-Christ. This means that these myths may not have arisen in a parallel manner after all, and the Jesus story could still have derived from one of them, all of them, or a precursor to them. For example, "Herodotus believed that much of the Greek Religion of his time originated in Egypt" and that Dionysus and Osiris were possibly the same god (Lister 133). The Jews were, indeed, exposed to Zoroasteriasm during their captivity in Babylonia (Asimov 410). Examining figures in Europe and Asia proves fruitless in the quest to determine the validity of the argument for parallelism: By virtue of the Middle East's historical position as the crossroads of Eurasia, its populace – specifically, the Jews – would have been exposed to most major religions floating around the area. It is therefore necessary to look beyond the old world. . .

<<<Back | Main | TOC | Works Cited | next>>>

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.