In NetHack, the #offer command allows you to sacrifice a corpse upon an altar. The corpse may be in your inventory or lying upon the altar itself. It must be less than 50 turns old for the gods to accept it; this goes for corpses that do not rot (such as lizards or lichens) as well.

Offering a corpse at an altar of your own alignment will pacify your patron deity somewhat. The extent of the deity's pleasure is dictated by how they are already feeling and the level of the monster you are sacrificing. If your deity is already angry with you, you will need a substantial sacrifice in order to regain favor. Otherwise, sacrificing just about anything is immediately beneficial.

Offering a corpse on an altar that is not of your alignment has a chance of converting the altar to your own alignment. If the conversion fails, your luck will go down. If it succeeds, that altar will be treated as one of your own forevermore. If your god is angry with you and you attempt to convert an altar, you will be converted instead. This makes winning the game impossible under some circumstances (if you have not completed the Quest yet, for example).

You ascend to demigodhood by offering the Amulet of Yendor at one of the three High Altars on the very last level. If you offer enough corpses to your deity at an ordinary altar, he or she will usually reward you with artifacts. In particular, Wizards can receive Magicbane easily by sacrificing 5 to 10 creatures on the first altar you can find. #offer is the primary reason to use the scroll of create monster (or the spell or wand).

In improv, the smallest bit of information you can use to build your scene.

Offers may be verbal or physical, intentional or unintentional, even external to the scene (e.g., a noise from outside the theater).
Keith Johnstone suggests that anything you say or do onstage is an offer.

Of"fer (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Offered (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Offering.] [OE. offren, AS. offrian to sacrifice, fr. L. offerre; ob (see OB-) + ferre to bear, bring. The English word was influenced by F. offrir to offer, of the same origin. See 1st Bear.]

1.

To present, as an act of worship; to immolate; to sacrifice; to present in prayer or devotion; -- often with up.

Thou shalt offer every day a bullock for a sin offering for atonement. Ex. xxix. 36.

A holy priesthood to offer up spiritual sacrifices. 1 Pet. ii. 5.

2.

To bring to or before; to hold out to; to present for acceptance or rejection; as, to offer a present, or a bribe; to offer one's self in marriage.

I offer thee three things. 2 Sam. xxiv. 12.

3.

To present in words; to proffer; to make a proposal of; to suggest; as, to offer an opinion. With the infinitive as an objective: To make an offer; to declare one's willingness; as, he offered to help me.

4.

To attempt; to undertake.

All that offer to defend him. Shak.

5.

To bid, as a price, reward, or wages; as, to offer a guinea for a ring; to offer a salary or reward.

6.

To put in opposition to; to manifest in an offensive way; to threaten; as, to offer violence, attack, etc.

Syn. -- To propose; propound; move; proffer; tender; sacrifice; immolate.

 

© Webster 1913.


Of"fer, v. i.

1.

To present itself; to be at hand.

The occasion offers, and the youth complies. Dryden.

2.

To make an attempt; to make an essay or a trial; -- used with at.

"Without offering at any other remedy."

Swift.

He would be offering at the shepherd's voice. L'Estrange.

I will not offer at that I can not master. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Of"fer (?), n. [Cf. F. offre, fr. offrir to offer, fr. L. offerre. See Offer, v. t.]

1.

The act of offering, bringing forward, proposing, or bidding; a proffer; a first advance.

"This offer comes from mercy."

Shak.

2.

That which is offered or brought forward; a proposal to be accepted or rejected; a sum offered; a bid.

When offers are disdained, and love denied. Pope.

3.

Attempt; endeavor; essay; as, he made an offer to catch the ball.

"Some offer and attempt."

South.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.