Oil Tankers mostly carry petroleum products, such as crude oil, etc, however they can also be used to transport other types of liquids such as liquid chemicals, lubricants, surfactants, etc. These were the method of transportation prior to the 60's when the Supertanker was introduced and lowered costs dramatically. But there are still many of these vessels functioning today.

There are three categories of tankers, as follows:

  • Category 1 oil tanker means oil tankers of 20,000 tons deadweight and above carrying crude oil, fuel oil, heavy diesel oil or lubricating oil as cargo, and of 30,000 tons deadweight and above carrying other oils, which do not comply with the requirements for protectively located segregated ballast tanks (commonly known as Pre-MARPOL tankers). Such tankers are of single hull design and will be phased out by 2015 according to a new treaty by the International Maritime Organization or IMO.
  • Category 2 oil tanker means oil tankers of 20,000 tons deadweight and above carrying crude oil, fuel oil, heavy diesel oil or lubricating oil as cargo, and of 30,000 tons deadweight and above carrying other oils, which do comply with the protectively located segregated ballast tank requirements (MARPOL tankers). Such tankers have a double hull design for safely.
  • Category 3 oil tanker means an oil tanker of 5,000 tons deadweight and above but less than the tonnage specified for Category 1 and 2 tankers.
Oil tankers referenced on Everything include:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.