Olive Tree Cave

Psst. Intrepid explorer of Oahu, yeah, you. Tired of shelling out too many clams for bad food in tourist traps? Can't take the long waits at the trendy restaurants? Then why not take a break and get some yummy Greek food where ordinary Honolulu locals eat? Take my advice and check out the Olive Tree Cafe in the Manoa area of Honolulu.

The menu here isn't large; it's posted above the counter where you order. Pick any traditional Greek favorite and wait for it to arive juicy, steaming and hearty. I had the predictable souvlaki, but it was one of the best I've ever had. The gyros looked scrumptious also. Half the tables are outdoors and half inside. Your neighbors won't be all hopped up with tourist energy, they'll be down-to-earth, local folks just having a fine night out. Since an important part of travelling for me is getting a feel for what it's like to live in a place, eating here was a completely refreshing and happy experience.

The Olive Tree Cafe is about 5 miles east of Waikiki, so about 10 miles from downtown Honolulu. If you have a car take I-H1 east to the Waialae Ave. exit (# 26B) and follow Waialae Ave. to turn right on Kilauea Ave., otherwise check out Honolulu's fine bus system. You might as well leave your American Express Card and your Visa at home, because these folks take only cash but only a modest amount of it. Be prepared to wait or search for parking -- this place is a hopping place.

Olive Tree Cafe
4614 Kilauea Ave #107, next to Kahala Mall
Honolulu, Hawai'i 96816
(808)737-0303
Hours: M-F 5pm-10pm, S-S 11am-10pm.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.