Olof Palme was the Prime Minister of Sweden from 1969-76 and 1982-86. He was also the chairman of the Swedish Social Democratic Labour Party (SAP) from 1969 to 1986. He was born in 1927 in an upper-class family home in Stockholm, and later studied law and worked as a journalist before being involved in politics. Among his achievements in Swedish politics is the reformation of the labour-laws in the early 1970's (which gave workers increased rights in the workplace) and better financial support for families with children.

Olof Palme was well known internationally because of his struggle for democracy. He for instance spoke out against the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1967 and the US intervention in Vietnam during the 60's and 70's. The later speech made the US government furious and they expelled the Swedish ambassador. He later worked against fascism in Spain and apartheid in South-Africa.

Olof Palme was murdered in Stockholm in 1986 by a lone assassin. A man by the name of Christer Pettersson was charged with the murder and sentenced to lifetime imprisonment. Pettersson was later cleared of all charges in a higher court of law and released from prison.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.