One-up two-up is a family of fairly simple three-ball juggling patterns. They can be attempted by anyone who can manage a simple three ball cascade. They all have in common that the siteswap notation is 3 (3,3). What that means is that you throw one ball, then two at the same time (one from each hand), then one again. One up, two up.

The pattern below is is easily discoverable - I discovered it on my own, and did it for several months without knowing what the usual name was. You can think of it as a four-ball synch crossover pattern with one ball missing.

Practice by holding one ball in each hand. Throw both balls up at the same time, so that they cross over in front of you. When you catch the balls will have swapped hands. I throw slightly lower from the left so as to avoid a mid-air collision. When you can get this right a few times, rapidly move on to the complete pattern.

Start as the practice, but with two balls clutched in your favoured hand. Throw one ball from each hand up and across, and when they come down, throw the third ball up and across. When it comes down, you do those two moves in mirror image: throw a ball up and across from each hand, and when they come down, throw the third ball back to your favoured hand.

I find it a good resting pattern between tricks, as it looks more unusual than three-ball cascade, but is almost as easy. As there are four moves in the cycle, it has a rhythm of four beats to the bar, almost a two-one-two-one rhythm, but beats 2 and 4 are different, being mirror images of each other as the lone ball moves left to right and back.

I generally throw a bit higher for one-up two-up than for three-ball cascade, as my brain needs a bit more time to work out where to put my hands to catch two balls at the same time.

Variations

The lone ball needn't always cross Left->Right->Left->Right, but bear in mind that if you keep it going up and down in one hand, the pattern looks a lot like the easier and simpler two in one hand.

If the two balls do collide in mid-air, I try to catch them anyway (no crossover, usually they more-or-less bounce off each other) and carry on.

Swapping between one-up two-up and three ball cascade is easy, as whenever only one ball is in the air they have the same state. As the single ball comes down, you can decide to throw one ball and be in three ball cascade, or throw both and be in one-up two up.

Just like in three ball cascade, you can launch into Mills mess (assuming that you can do Mills mess). Throw the lone ball straight up instead of across, then cross your hands and away you go.

Other one-up two patterns involve the columns throwing style. For instance, do two-ball columns in one hand while throwing a ball up and down with the other hand, in synch with a ball in the first hand. Make it more interesting by moving the odd ball (the one out of synch with the other two) around - you can keep it on the outside and throw it over the top, keep it in the middle and swap it from one hand to the other, or mix these.

Diagram

My attempt at a ladder diagram for one-up two-up is below. If you are not familiar with these diagrams, imagine that the left and right hand edges are hands; A, B and C are three balls and time increases down the diagram. A and B are the paired balls, and C is the lone ball.
A    BC
 A  B C
  AB  C
  BA  C
 B  A C
B    AC
B    CA
B   C A
B  C  A
B C   A
BC    A
CB    A
C B  A
C  BA
C  AB
C A  B
CA    B
AC    B
A C   B
A  C  B
A   C B
A    CB
 A   BC

References: Charlie Dancey's Encyclopaedia of Ball Juggling.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.