Recipe

Onion gravy is a delicious accompaniment to a variety of dishes, although I myself prefer it on sausages and mashed potatoes. It is especially good with the traditional "meat and two veg" type of meal, but I'm sure the more culinarily adventurous types amongst you can find other equally good uses for it. If you're vegetarian, fear not! You can try it out substituting the chicken stock for vegetable stock instead. (I've never tried that way myself, so please let me know if it works well or is a horrible disaster, and I'll add the feedback here...)

Ingredients (Serves 4) Cooking Equipment Instructions
  1. First halve, then slice the onion and sauté it in the butter until it has started to brown, stirring often.
  2. Add the plain flour to the onions and stir this in to thicken the consistency.
  3. Now add the chicken stock (you can use beef stock if you prefer, although this will give it a much stronger flavour), the mixed herbs, and the Worcestershire sauce (thank you, Lea and Perrins!)
  4. Once you've got a good mix on the go, and the gravy is thickening further, partially cover the top of the saucepan and simmer the ingredients for about 10-15 minutes. This will give a lovely mix of flavours to the gravy... Remember to keep stirring it as required.
  5. Serve with the meal of your choice!

Variations
The onion may also be sautéd in margarine or vegetable oil depending on preference and availablity. In the place of the generic ingredient of "mixed herbs", those with a spice rack can use parsley, bay leaves, pepper, and sage. If you have to make it in a rush and have no stock, then use water... It will not be as good, but it will do in a pinch. You could get away with using red wine too, and that way it looks like you were doing it on purpose... *winks*

* - If feeding veggies, remember to use a vegetarian version of Worcestershire Sauce as it usually contains anchovies (Thanks, Shimmer!).

See Also : Stock Recipes

Many thanks to Sneff for his kind words of advice.

Sources
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/sauces/gravy/oniongravy.html
http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Sauces/onion_gravy____ht____acc____brit.htm
http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/recipes/congravy.htm

PS - Feel free to msg me if you use this recipe - I'd be very pleased to hear about the results!

Last Updated : 31st July, 2005

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.