Keep your noses out of our business.
As I recall we kicked your asses out of our country back in 1776.
We do not require input from losers and idiots on who we vote for in our own country.
Fuck off and die asshole!!!!!

This is one of the thousands of threatening, complaining and often scatological emails sent to numerous journalists of one of Britain's best known broadsheets The Guardian shortly after Operation Clark County began.

According to Ian Katz, editor of the Guardian's daily supplement G2, the idea was dreamt up during a drinking session in a north London pub in September 2004 and entailed to match concerned Guardian readers to write letters to undecided voters in Clark County, Ohio and try to convince them that for the love of god, the planet and their own sake their vote in the upcoming presidential elections had to go to John Kerry and John Edwards.

I hope your earholes turn to arseholes and shit on your shoulder

And so it began: thousands of concerned Guardian reader requested an address from the Guardian's website (which were legally obtained for 14 £ by getting an adress list of registered voters and then scanned for "undecided". So much for privacy in the US) and wrote endearing letters to the people of Clark County. Some of them can be read on the Guardian's website.

MAY YOU HAVE TO HAVE A TOOTH CAPPED. I UNDERSTAND IT TAKES AT LEAST 18 MONTHS
FOR YOUR GREAT MEDICAL SERVICES TO GET AROUND TO YOU

What the Guardian obviously underestimated was the conservative backlash. Turns out that compassionate conservative Christians with Republican tendencies don't give a toss what the world thinks about their choice of president, a la contraire: Fox, that network for good, godloving Americans, was fuming, Rush Limbaugh, demigod of Republican opinion gave his undevided attention to this foreign attempt of undermining American democracy and the Guardian's mail server groaned under the combined attacks of outraged US - citizens:

Consider this: stay out of American electoral politics. Unless you would like a company of US Navy Seals - Republican to a man - to descend upon the offices of the Guardian, bag the lot of you, and transport you to Guantanamo Bay, where you can share quarters with some lonely Taliban shepherd boys.

The rest of the press started to notice: newsteams from all over the world started to report on the phenomenon that was Operation Clark County and some reporters even feared for the state of the "special" US-UK relationship. The citizens of Clark County were rather nonplussed by the whole affair: Feeling rather mollycoddled that their little peaceful corner of the United States was center of the universe for 15 minutes, they were happy to get some mail from polite foreigners churning their heart out.
The whole stunt was ended just one week when the Guardian's webserver was hacked and the abuse was getting on the nerves of the management.

The whole bruhaha raises one important question: is the press allowed to take a stake in a nations political process? Of course. Just like Fox tries to influence the nation with it's pro-Bush propaganda, the foreign press has to take an active stance in what is a decisive moment in the world's history: should a man be allowed to rule one of the most magnificent nations on the planet who is so obviously tainted by the influence of conservative, isolationist and unecological lobbygroups?

The answer is of course a resounding "yes" and I leave you with this lovely little snippet:

Real Americans aren't interested in your pansy-ass, tea-sipping opinions.
If you want to save the world, begin with your own worthless corner of the world

Well, we are.


http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004

According to CNN, Clark County went 49% to 51% to Bush. Sigh.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.