December, 1989. The Philippines:

Operation Classic Resolve was the United States' answer to Philippine president Corazon Aquino's requests for military aid against ongoing rebellions and coup attempts, led by Colonel Gregorio 'Gringo' Honasan. To lend air support, the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) and the USS Midway (CV-41) and their battle groups (Battle Group FOXTROT, and Battle Group ALPHA, respectively) gathered near Manila Bay.

The rebellion was, in part, caused by a disquieted military force and general dissatisfaction with the economic reforms (or lack thereof). Colonel Honasan was a formidable threat; a previous coup attempt in August 1987 resulted in the deaths of 53 people. As the government asked for support from the United States, the rebels said "We have American residences here at a striking distance and we can hit them at will . . . if they (U.S. forces) are going to hit us,"

The support from the United States military was warranted, Honasans ability to organize military forces was massive. Honasan had control over almost the entire Philippine Air Force. His first violent act of this rebellion was in bombing the presidential palace and the government television organizations on November 30, 1989. On December 1, 1989, the first American fighter jets (F-4 Phantoms) arrived to attempt to control the violence, as ordered by U.S. President George Bush. The rebels pilots were quickly grounded. Almost immediately, the rebellion seem quashed, however hundreds of rebels set up defensive positions in the streets of Manila. Heavy fighting continued for three days, and on December 4, 1989, after surrounding remaining troops still standing their ground in the city, the Philippine government declared that the coup was over. During the formal cease-fire, wealthy tourists who had been holed up in the financial district began to evacuate the city.

December 10, 1989, the Philippine government officially began a search for the renegade military leaders who had led the rebellion. This was the last of seven failed coup attempts against Corazon Aquino led by Honasan.
Sources: http://www.mahk.com/sc540.htm, http://www.multied.com/Navy/CVN65Enterprise.html, http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/navy/enterprise/enterprise2.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.