(Continued from Prejudices)

When presenting our opinions on topics, we (depending on the audience to which we are presenting) tend to expect a certain amount of criticism or even scrutiny. Of course, scrutiny must not be taken to heart, as it is expected, and must therefore be prepared for and accepted. Take for instance my opinion on the use of marijuana. As I was attempting to explain to my father: I consider my brief use of it to be not at all a horrible experience, in fact it was, quite contrary to what he may believe, a key element in my development as an individual. In response he becomes angry that one of his children is defending the use of drugs. As if without comprehension he asks: "So then, it improved your life?"

I'd like to think so; yes.

But this scrutiny can be applied to any number of things between my father and I. Any matters of religion, or the psyche, or any such opinions I might have that do not necessarily agree with his are automatically wrong, as he has all the RIGHT answers. The scrutiny I receive on my opinions from my father is much different than that I would receive from my friends. For they all agree that each person has the right to their own opinion and therefore refrain from forcing theirs down the oppositions throat.

So here we see again the manifestation of equality. As society gradually strays from such false stereotypes and prejudices (such as racism) the people become more open to other ideas, to the idea that perhaps they don't have the right answer, perhaps none of us do. Perhaps our whole walk through life is one big giant question that can never be answered. Perhaps this walk is the answer. But either way, our opinions (or perhaps those we've adopted from others), being free of prejudice or judgment, have the freedom to grow and develop, and perhaps take a convincing form, and in the end truly become our own.

where it all began...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.