The Order of the Engineer was formed in the United States around 1970, inducting its first members at Cleveland State University on June 4, 1970. Its only activity is to sponsor induction ceremonies similar to the Canadian Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer. The organization's goals are:

...to foster a spirit of pride and responsibility in the engineering profession, to bridge the gap between training and experience, and to present to the public a visible symbol identifying the engineer.
The induction ceremonies are typically held at engineering colleges near the end of the semester. There are no specific guidelines for who may be inducted; participants are most often seniors graduating with engineering degrees.

During the ceremony, inductees are given a stainless steel ring to be worn on the fifth (pinky) finger of the working hand, and take the following oath:

I am an Engineer, in my profession I take deep pride. To it I owe solemn obligations.

Since the Stone Age, human progress has been spurred by the engineering genius. Engineers have made usable Nature’s vast resources of material and energy for Humanity's benefit. Engineers have vitalized and turned to practical use the principles of science and the means of technology. Were it not for this heritage of accumulated experience, my efforts would be feeble.

As an Engineer, I pledge to practice integrity and fair dealing, tolerance and respect, and to uphold devotion to the standards and the dignity of my profession, conscious always that my skill carries with it the obligation to serve humanity by making the best use of Earth’s precious wealth.

As an Engineer I shall participate in none but honest enterprises. When needed, my skill and knowledge shall be given without reservation for the public good. In the performance of duty and in fidelity to my profession, I shall give the utmost.

The oath is similar in intent to "The Obligation," the oath written by Rudyard Kipling for the Canadian organization. Copyright issues prevented the use of the original Obligation in the new United States organization.

The organization maintains no formal roster or publications, and takes no dues, although a moderate fee is required prior to induction. (At my school, in 2002, the fee was $50.)

Induction into the order seems to be most popular with graduates in mechanical and civil engineering--the most traditional engineering discipines. Popularity with the more maverickish EEs and ChemEs tends to be more sporatic.

See also: www.order-of-the-engineer.org, www.ironring.ca

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.