To organize a workplace means to establish a trade union.

Often an project fraught with problems and danger, as many employers do not appreciate having to deal with their employees on an equal basis. In the past, and even more recently, they have employed goon squads, and other, more subtle means to intimidate their workers.

Only workers' struggle has enlisted the government to level the playing field; since the beginning of time, the government has favoured property, and those with it, over those who have not, and must work.

Or"gan*ize (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Organized (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Organizing (?).] [Cf. F. organiser, Gr. . See Organ.]

1. Biol.

To furnish with organs; to give an organic structure to; to endow with capacity for the functions of life; as, an organized being; organized matter; -- in this sense used chiefly in the past participle.

These nobler faculties of the mind, matter organized could never produce. Ray.

2.

To arrange or constitute in parts, each having a special function, act, office, or relation; to systematize; to get into working order; -- applied to products of the human intellect, or to human institutions and undertakings, as a science, a government, an army, a war, etc.

This original and supreme will organizes the government. Cranch.

3. Mus.

To sing in parts; as, to organize an anthem.

[R.]

Busby.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.