-----------------
MUSE
-----------------

After the release of their first album Showbiz in 1999, it was quite clear to many that Muse were in a league of their own. Hailed with comparisons to Radiohead's Thom Yorke, Matt's voice on Showbiz seemed to emit a kind of dismay that reflected deep, yet subtle emotions. Their first album touched many people with its well written, emotion driven songs, and its mood invoking flavour, and has since spawned many singles including Muscle Museum, Sunburn and Unintended. In anticipation of a second album, many fans expected more or less the same thing, or at least a similar format and sound. Instead, in 2001, (and to the dissapointment of many), they were greeted with the fresher, complex sound that is Origin of Symmetry; a sound that captures both the energy of live performance, and the originality of fantastic songwriters.

Instead or returning to their well-known style, Muse seemed to embrace a tangeant of their music and push its boundries. The term "opera rock" has often been used to describe their sound, as it mixes classical composition and arrangement with Matt's guitar stylings. Both Chris and Dom contribute as wonderfully and amazingly as Matt in terms of filling the songs out, and creating an original and broad sounding set of songs. The songs on Origin of Symmetry are shaped around touring, and as a result the recordings, while sounding extremely complex at times, are very energetic, certainly more so than previous efforts.

Highlights of the album include the track Feeling Good, a previous B-side for Muse which was revamped and placed on the album. Other singles such as Bliss and Newborn capture opposite sides of Muse's sound; while one is keyboard driven and softly sung, the other is largely riff driven by pounding guitars and unrelenting vocals. Sounding like a mix of both of these singles, Plug in Baby gave a good idea of Muse's new direction, and ultimately the type of sounds we can expect to hear from them in the future.



Tracks

*New Born
*Bliss
Space Dementia
Hyper Music
*Plug-In Baby
Citizen Erased
Micro-Cuts
Screenager
*Dark Shines
*Feeling Good
Megalomania


*singles

Track On Origin Of Symmetry

New Born
Album starts slowly with a massive build up of classical music creating a false sence of security leading to an immense heavy guitar solo that Matt Bellamy does so well. Undoubtably one of the best hits Muse have produced.

Bliss
Combination of heavy and soft track that highlights Bellamy's singing ability. One of the more lyrics focused tracks that was lead to a single release. Works as a complete contrast to the fury of New Born.

Space Dementia
Another song that starts classical with noticable keyboard before introducing the lead guitar that gives the song a balance between heavy and soft. Vocals show the capability of Bellamy's voice.

Hyper Music
Track starts with lead guitar solo but develops into a more bass focused song. Quite lyrics focused but also highlights the drum and bass elements to the band.

Plug In Baby
Easily the best single Muse have ever produced. Starts with an amazing guitar solo from Bellamy but also has the right mix of vocals which allows him to excel. The track also combines the excellent drumming ability of Dominic Howard.

Citizen Erased
The track starts with heavy guitaring and is combined with typically strong vocals, the song slows down with the vocals as the track progresses building up to more heavy guitar playing towards the end. The track has more of an electric feel and shows Muse at their heavy rock side and more emotional side.

Micro-Cuts
Was apparently based on a dream that Matt had where he was in the desert with blades raining down on him. The track combines a build up of guitars with screaming vocals leading to another excellent guitar solo from Bellamy at the end of the track. Not a vocals centered track, more of a showcase of the bands musical ability.

Screenager
Probably one of the weaker songs on the album. Lacks any heavy element or strong lyrics and doesn't really use the bands ability to any decent effect but adds to the mood of the album.

Darkshines
Track mixes a good base of strong lyrics with a heavy chorus that was released as a double A-Side with Feeling Good.

Feeling Good
Re-make of a song previously released by Nina Simone. Gives the song a much heavier feel and was released as a single due to a good lyrics base with a heavy metal side to it.

Megalomania
A song with soft vocals that lead to a heavy part (like most of the album) then calms down to a softer part before building up to a heavy ending to the album.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.