Gifted English writer and pastor best known for the devotional culled from his writings My Utmost for His Highest.

Born in Scotland in 1874, Chambers went to college at the University of Edinburg. At 22, Chambers felt called into the ministry and attended the theological college in Dunoon. Chambers taught for a time at the same college and began a preaching ministry that took him to Europe, Japan, and the United States.

It was during his trip to the United States that Chambers met, Gertrude Hobbs, also known as Biddy. The two became fast friends and by the end of the voyage were in love. The two were married in 1910 and later that year opened a bible college in London. The college flourished under Chambers' guidance and was the home to many students and visiting missionaries.

When World War I broke out, Chambers became chaplain to the British forces in Egypt, moving his family which now included a daughter Kathleen in 1915. He taught and ministered to the troops in Egypt, gaining the respect of both the enlisted men as well as the officers.

In 1917, Chambers underwent surgery to remove his appendix. He experienced complications from the surgery and died later that same year. His wife's telegram to their families in England most movingly expresses the family's commitment to God and the hope they had in his death: "Oswald, in His presence."

Biddy returned to England and over the next few years, transcribed the notes that she had taken during Chambers time as a minister. These notes were eventually published, preserving the works of her husband. In 1923, My Utmost for His Highest was first published and has stayed in print from that point until now.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.