Our Name Is Mud is a little plaster store located at 506 Amsterdam in NYC, between 84th and 85th streets. They can be reachted at 212 579 5575, in addition to their hours they also take party bookings and such. Their hours are 11:30 - 8:00 Tuesday - Saturday, 11:30 - 6:00 Sunday and Monday. In addition, from 5-10 on Thursday nights, no children allowed and you may bring your own food or booze.

Their shelves are stocked with white plaster objects: coasters, teacups, saucers, vases, piggy banks, treasure boxes. You paint them. They charge you for both the item you choose to decorate, and your painting time, in 1/2 hour increments. If you go the week of your birthday, painting time is free. On Two for Tuesdays, if you paint two items, again: free painting time. I can't say whether they're cheap, I haven't been to many of these sorts of places.

I went with my sister once. We both went for the same vase, small and curvaceous, blank. I had a picture in my mind of what I wanted, she looked at the paints and picked whatever appealed to her. I liked O.N.I.M, because it gave me an excuse to feel artistic, with concrete proof afterward. Of course, my sister thought she could never make a pretty thing again in her lifetime.

When you are finished painting your plasterpiece, (or pieces, or set) they send them to the kiln to be glazed and fired. You can pick it up a week later, oven/microwave/dishwasher safe. If you have not time to finish, or an initial layer of paint needs to dry before completion, you can leave it there and they'll have it waiting when you come back.

Obviously, besides for the item you end up with, it's just a nice way to sit with friends, relaxed and talking, but creating at the same time. And it's interesting to see what people choose.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.