We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
T.S. Eliot


Every person living on this planet has a place called home. So, seven billion differing concepts of what home means. Birthplace, continent or country of ethnicity, current location, temporary dwelling, permanent address, one place or several places where one feels comfortable, safe and hopefully loved and protected.


Having lived in three different houses by the age of eight, then running away at the age of sixteen, moving numerous times until I ended up here in a small town in New Jersey, I can hear the music of each place I've lived if I think of each place once called home. I venture to say most people associate music with a place, perhaps also a particular person, whether you were happy or unhappy at the time.


Music can stir emotions long since forgotten and is used as a memory device for people with Alzheimer's or other memory loss. Music used in video games or movies can enhance the experience, both positively and negatively. Thinking of music as both a science and an art, most definitely a skill and genetic talent, I would also say our choices in music reflect very much who we are as people.


As an intangible occurrence, imagine sitting in a concert hall before, during and after the music is finished. You have just been on a journey that will stay with you, to some extent, that took you to real and imagined landscapes and you may still be hearing the music as you find your way back to the place you call home.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.