Outlaw Star
Future Hero Next Generation

Outlaw Star is the story of Gene Starwind and Jim Hawking, two semi-legit shop owners on space's frontier. One day they are called by a woman named Hilda, who asks them to take her someplace. Gene and Jim soon find out Hilda is not who she seems, and find themselves chased by Pirates. What's going on, what's with this naked android chick, what's the full scoop on this spaceship Gene names the Outlaw Star?!

Dramatis Personae:
Warning: Spoilers ahead!

Gene Starwind: Young man and part owner of Starwind and Hawking Enterprises, Gene likes to think big, even when it means missing out on jobs that could pay for the Outlaw Star's seemingly endless list of repairs. An unlikely pilot, Gene lost his father in a fight in space as a child and the sight of the open void makes him sick. Gene cares deeply about Melphina and tries to show her this, sometimes not as well as he could.

Jim Hawking: The younger co-owner of S&H Ent., Jim is the more down-to-earth (?) of the two men, always berating Gene for not being realistic. Jim also seems to be wiz at technology, and panics whenever Gene does something risky. Despite his companion's aloofness, Jim cares about Gene, willing to fight besides him or bail Gene out of a situation.

Melphina: AKA "That naked chick who pilots the ship". An android created seemingly just for the ship, Mel has no idea of her past and who she really is, hoping that by following Gene and Jim she'll learn about her past. She almost seems human, caring deeply about the two guys. She's a damn-good cook too!

Unbeknownst to anyone except the Pirates who had her built, Melphina is part of the Galactic Leyline, the key that activates this mysterious device for whoever brings her there. As part of the Leyline she can give anyone who asks her whatever it is they want.

Aisha ClanClan: ARGH! Aisha ClanClan of the Ctarl-Ctarl Empire is probably the most annoying character in the show, agrivating Gene and Jim to no-end with her short fuse, hot temper, and attitude problem. She's searching for the Galactic Leylien and the treasures it's said to hold, even though none of them really know what's in store there. She never does get to the Leyline's center and doesn't get what she desires, but she handles this problem by simply continuing to tag along with Jim and Gene until she gets repayed.

Gilliam: The Outlaw Star's ship-board computer, Gilliam trys to keep everything working, seeing as the crew isn't about to make any effort to do that. He fears for the ship's saftey everytime Gene pulls a stunt. Gilliam also controls little soda can-shaped robots that can zip around the ship on rails to perform a variety of tasks.

"Hot Ice" Hilda: Thanks to her, we have a show. Hilda is (or rather, was...watch the show, you'll find out.) an outlaw, an ex-space pirate on the run from the Kay Pirates. She's responsible for getting the Outlaw Star, which she stole from the Pirates in order to search for the Galactic Leylien.

"Twilight" Suzuka: Suzuka is an assasain with her own style of getting the job done: she attacks only at twilight. When she tried to kill Gene's "friend" *ahem* Fred Low, she comes face-to-face with Gene, and strikes a deal that she won't kill Fred until she gets Gene. Oddly enough, she joins Gene, Jim, and Melphina aboard the Outlaw Star, making Jim nervous to no-end.

Fred Lou: Fred is Gene's "friend", providing him with the funds to repair and supply the Outlaw Star, with the reassurance that Gene will repay him one day. To add to his lawyer-like slimeyness, he's a total coward unable to stick up for himself. (It should be noted that Fred is, in the sub at least, attracted to Gene. Hence the reason Jim finds him to be a wierdo and didn't want Gene to enlist Fred's help.)

The MacDougal Brothers: Hitmen for hire, if the price is right. Harry and Ron MacDougal are hired by the Kay Pirates to destroy Hilda, the Outlaw Star, and all witnesses, but when the band of pirates chasing Hilda are killed, the brothers decide to try and take out the ship anyway, especially its captain, Gene Starwind.

Harry is a bio-android, much like Melphina, and loves Mel dearly and wants her to be his. He races through the Leyline with the hope of taking her back, but he is killed at the gate. His last task, as a barely-alive shell, is to open the gate to the Leyline's center for Gene Starwind and Gwen Khan, asking Gene to have Melphina sing her song, which Gene agrees to do.

Hazanko: High leader in the Pirate Clans, he vies for total domination over his rivals, and seeks the power of the Galactic Leiline to serve him in his bid for control. He hunts Gene and the Outlaw Star across the universe seeking to recapture the ship and the android Melfina at any cost.

My third favorite anime, behind Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. It also follows that sort of space cowboy trend.

Currently (as of time of writing) is shown on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim Action on Saturday nights. I believe it's current time slot is 1:30AM Eastern time. It is to be noted however, that Cartoon Network is showing an edited version of the show.

The series is available at DVD, most likely at your local Suncoast or on Amazon. A box set has also been recently produced.

Episode Guide:

  • 1: Outlaw World-First appearance of Gene Starwind, Jim Hawking, Hot Ice Hilda, and Melfina.
  • 2: Star of Desire
  • 3: Into Burning Space-First appearance of Aisha.
  • 4: When the Hot Ice Melts-Introduction of the Outlaw Star and Gilliam.
  • 5: The Beast Girl Ready to Pounce!
  • 6: The Beautiful Assassin-Introduction of Suzuka and Fred Lou.
  • 7: Creeping Evil
  • 8: Forced Departure
  • 9: A Journey of Adventure! Huh?
  • 10: Gathering for the Space Race
  • 11: Adrift in Subspace
  • 12: Mortal Combat with the El Dorado
  • 13: Advanced Guard from an Alien World
  • 14: Final Countdown
  • 15: The Seven Emerge
  • 16: Demon of the Water Planet
  • 17: Between Life and Machine
  • 18: The Strongest Woman in the Universe-The first time you actually see Aisha use her transformation, despite her constant bragging about it.
  • 19: Law and Lawlessness
  • 20: Cats and Girls and Spaceships
  • 21: Grave of the Dragon
  • 22: Gravity Jailbreak
  • 23: Hot Springs Planet Tenrei-This episode was not shown on Cartoon Network due to nudity, but suprisingly it does have relevance to the plot; it gives the origin of the Caster weapons and shells.
  • 24: Cutting the Galactic Leyline
  • 25: Maze of Despair
  • 26: Return to Space

    There is also rumor of an Outlaw Star 2 beginning this fall in Japan through something called Ultra Jump.

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.