A villain published by DC Comics. The Outsider first appeared in Detective Comics #334.

Alfred Pennyworth is the butler of Bruce Wayne and one of the few people that share the secret that Bruce Wayne lives a double life as the Batman. Alfred has helped Batman over the years and has shown himself to be a brave man and not one to shrink from danger. So when some of Alfred's friends were taken by mobsters and going to be killed, Alfred sprang into action. He attempted to rescue his friends from the criminals and succeeded, but at the cost of his own life.

Or so it would have seemed. Instead, Alfred was discovered by a scientist/inventor to not be dead, but in a deathlike trance. How Alfred ended up in this trance or what the scientist was doing trolling the morgue was never explained, but said scientist decided that Alfred would benefit from his untested, experimental invention, because what was the worst that could happen? The experiment not only brought Alfred out of the trance but gave him super-human abilities, pasty white skin with circles all over it, and a burning desire to kill Batman and Robin. In other words, the procedure had mixed results.

Calling himself the Outsider (because he considered himself outside the human race), Alfred used his new abilities which ranged from telekinesis to teleporation to try and do in the Dynamic Duo. Alfred was eventually cured and left with no knowledge of his exploits as the Outsider. Batman chose not to tell Alfred of the affair fearing that it would kill him and we see how that turned out the first time.

Alfred has turned into the Outsider on a number of other ocassions, but has always been defeated.

Out`sid"er (?), n.

1.

One not belonging to the concern, institution, party, etc., spoken of; one disconnected in interest or feeling.

[Recent]

A. Trollope.

2.

A locksmith's pinchers for grasping the point of a key in the keyhole, to open a door from the outside when the key is inside.

3.

A horse which is not a favorite in the betting.

[Cant]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.