"So how are things going between you two?"

"Great, great...I just had a question, do you actually know how to paint with the colors of the wind?"

"Oh no. She gave you the 'blue corn moon' talk, didn't she?"

"Yeah, I couldn't figure out what it meant. I thought maybe you might know? Or maybe I should ask the medicine guy?"

"Look, dude, I'm gonna level with you. Nobody in the village knows what the hell all that stuff is about. Okay? Our Medicine Man swears he didn't teach her any of it. I don't know where it came from."

"But I thought --"

"That we were all kooky nature freaks? Come on. We sustain our land as best we can, we've got our rituals, all that stuff, but we don't get all weird with it. I mean the Medicine Man gets a little weird with it but that's his job. Nobody else gets as weird as Pocahontas. So maybe she knows something none of the rest of us know or maybe she's nuts."

"You want to say that about your own daughter?"

"I've got five. And four of them are actually useful when the freakin' corn needs harvesting. I'm just saying, I heard that Rolfe guy is interested in her. Maybe you want to let him have her hand in marriage and find someone a little more sensible?"

"No, but here's the thing. She's got that raccoon that follows her around, right? And the hummingbird. Have you ever seen that happen with anyone else?"

"Can't say I have."

"And this other day, I heard her talking to a tree --"

"Yeah, that sounds like her."

"No, but here's the thing. I'm pretty sure I heard the tree talking back."

"Have you been hitting the tobacco pipe too hard?"

"I'm serious! Okay, I know the whole thing sounds less than serious, but I swear I heard the creaking of wood and the rustling of branches and then this old lady's voice except it also sounded like the creaking of wood. I think there's actually something going on with this chick."

"Okay...so what, you want me to spy on her or something?"

"I'll do it. She trusts me. Maybe she'll let me in on the whole thing."

"Alright...can you also get that Radcliffe guy off my back? He keeps sending messengers demanding 'mineral rights'. What the hell is a 'mineral'?"

"Dude's looking for gold. Don't give him an inch or he'll take a mile. If any of your folks have gold jewelry tell them to hide it in a midden or something."

"Shit, yeah, alright. Good luck. Let me know if you actually figure out what the colors of the wind are."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.