A brand new supercar was revealed to the world during the 1999 Geneva Motor Show: the Pagani Zonda. Designed and manufactured by obscure Italian automaker Pagani Automobili, the Zonda takes the term "supercar" to a whole new level, directly competing against such cars as the awesome Koenigsegg CC and the Saleen S7.

The fluid, curvaceous body of the Zonda invokes images of speed and power, and it certainly provides lots of both. Its futuristic styling is very "in your face" -- from its aggressive curvatures and faux steel design to its quadruple exhausts arranged in a peculiar square in the center of the car's tail end -- the Zonda is extremely unique, and you can either love it or hate it. But even if you loathe it, there is no mistaking its awesome potential. The Zonda C12 uses a mid-mounted, 6.0-liter DOHC V12 engine produced by German Mercedes-Benz, producing 388 hp @ 3800 rpm; a further advanced model, the C12S, utilizes an even larger 7.0-liter V12, which increases power output to an astounding 543 hp @ 5550 rpm -- can you say "0-100 km* in 3.7 seconds"? In case you need to stop, the Zonda utilizes a high-quality braking system by Brembo, with ventilated disc brakes (with four-piston calipers) all around. A rigid chassis and a lightweight body made up of carbon fiber panels allow the Zonda to tip the scales at a mere 1250 kilograms (2756 pounds Imperial).

An impressive car -- though with a price tag of $280,000 USD for the C12 and $350,000 USD for the C12S, it's way out of mostly everyone's league. Only around 25 are produced in a year, as well, so don't expect to see too many in your lifetime.

* Around 62 mph.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.