The state nickname of South Carolina, from the Sabal Palmetto/Cabbage Palmetto, the state tree, which is on the state flag also. The story behind it:

During the American Revolution, Charleston, South Carolina was a big seaport and a target for the British. In June of 1776, the people of Charleston got word that British ships were approaching the harbor. They hastily built a fort on Sullivan's Island, in the harbor, of the most available wood, palmetto trees. Led by Colonel Moultrie (the fort would later be named Fort Moultrie in his honor), the American force began shooting cannonballs at the ships when they came within range, and were shot at. But the logs of the fort didn't break when hit by cannon fire! The cannonballs just sort of sank into the soft wood. This prevented the fort from being destroyed, and the Americans were able to defeat the British at this time. The National Park Service's web page describes this as "the first decisive victory in the American Revolution."


Back to US State Nicknames

Palmetto State.

South Carolina; -- a nickname alluding to the State Arms, which contain a representation of a palmetto tree.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.