A meeting hall, dance hall, and ice rink in the Fairfax district of Los Angeles from 1935 to until it was superseded by the new downtown convention center, where as it was left empty.

The auditorium was designed by the firm of Plummer, Wurdeman, and Becket and is a classic example of the architectural style: Streamline Moderne, its 4 massive entrance towers were a reflection of the hopeful spirit of the 1933 World's Fair in Chicago.

The historic building also hosted an array of interesting events, among them was a speech by General Dwight D. Eisenhower during his 1952 election campaign, a Elvis Presley preformance in 1957 and the annual Ice Capades. The Pan Pacific also had the honor of ordering the 4th zamboni machine produced.

Sadly, on May 24th, 1989 a very suspicious fire burned the Pan Pacific to the ground despite the best efforts of the Los Angeles Fire Department. The burning was made even worst because shortly before its destruction it had been named to the National Register of Historic Places and was given a budget of $22 million for a face-lift. A replica, the Pan Pacific Park, has been constructed on its ruins.



Pan Pacific Auditorium

7600 W. Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.