Other designation: LaS (Vs Kfz 617)

Type: Machine-gun armed light tank

History: Originally as the MG Panzerwagen ( armoured MG carrier), the Pz Kpfw I Ausf A was the first German tank to go into mass-production.
An initial order for 135, given to Krupp, was expanded by orders for an additional 450 in January 1934.

Specific features: The Pz Kpfw I Ausf A had the same suspension as the Ausf A ohne Aufbau.
The superstructure was built out over the tracks with a turret mounted offset at the right side.This allowed
room for the drivers access hatch in the left side and roof of the superstructure. Both machine-guns were mounted coaxially in the turret front in an internal moving gun mantlet. Although there wre only two crew-members, five vision ports were provided in the superstructure and six in the turret. The orriginal design did not provide adequate ventilation with the result that the air-cooled engine overheated. To reduce this problem, an 'air-scoop' type of louvre was added to the rear to deflect exhaust air.

Combat service: The first complete Pz Kpfw I Ausf A were issued in September 1934. By July 1935, the Kraftfahrlehrkommando had recieved 475. The Pz Kpfw I Ausf A was scattered throughout all the Panzer units. It was used a lot in Poland and France, and was issued to Pz-Abt 40 wich took part in the invasion of Denmark and Norway. From late 1940 until 1941, the Ausf A was withdrawn from units in the main combat areas. Its final service was in Finland in 1941, and in North Africa.

crew: 2

engine: Krupp M305

gearbox: 5 forward, 1 reverse

speed (km/hr): 37

range (km): 145

weight (tons): 5.4

length (metres):4.02

width (metres): 2.06

height (metres): 1.72

Armour (mm/angle):____Front____Side___Rear___Top/Bottom

Hull:_________________13/27____13/0___13/15__6/90

Turret:_______________13/10____13/22__13/22__8/82 90

Superstructure:__________13/22____13/22__13/17__6/82 -90

Gun mantlet:__________13/round

source used: Peter Chamberlain and Hilary L. Doyle: Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two. Arms and Armour Press, 1978.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.