Computer games developers of great racing simulations:
Indy 500, Indycar Racing (1 & 2), Nascar (1, 2, & 3 and 4th part coming this november), and Grand Prix Legends

Papyrus homepage: www.papy.com

How to make Papyrus?

The rulers of ancient Egypt knew full well how incredibly useful papyrus was. So much so, that they declared its making a state monopoly and allegedly guarded the secret jealously...

Around the second century, the Chinese invention of paper eclipsed the papyrus, its use quickly fading away and its "recipe" all but forgotten until 1965.

The first major difficulty to overcome in this rediscovery was to get hold of actual papyrus plants: strange as it may seem, this traditional Egyptian plant had entirely disappeared from the country and rhizomes of Cyprus papyrus had to be obtained from Sudan. It is now again heavily cultivated in the Gizah area near Cairo.

The second difficulty was obviously to figure out the process itself: amazingly for a civilization that documented every aspect of their daily life, there was no written trace whatsoever of the techniques used in Ancient Egypt.

And yet, the process of papyrus paper-making is actually remarkably simple. To make papyrus, artisans in modern-day Cairo most likely use a process identical to the one used in 4000 BC:

  • First, the inner pith of freshly cut papyrus stalks is removed and cut into long thin strips.
  • These strips are soaked for about 3 days in water, so as to clean and soften the pith (removing some of the extra sugar it contains), then pounded to break down the fibers and drain out the water.
  • They are then disposed over a cotton fabric in a first layer of slightly overlapping vertical lines, followed by a second layer of horizontal stripes.
  • After pounding the strips a last time (using a mallet-like tool) Another piece of cotton fabric is placed on top and the whole is put in a bench press.
  • The cotton clothes are changed every dozen hours and, a few days later, the papyrus is ready and can be removed from the press.
  • Usually, the sheet is then polished to a smooth finish by rubbing with a stone or block of wood.

As you can see, none of these steps (with the notable exception of the harvesting of authentic papyrus stalks on the side of the Nile river) is any hard to realize at home: the press can be replaced by a sufficiently hard support and heavy weights (encyclopedia books etc).

A more modest variant can be made even if you don't have papyrus stalks handy, using other fitting plants (I have heard that cattails works good). In this case, it can be a good idea to add a little bit of glue or wallpaper paste in the soaking water in order to make up for the sugar that insure structure cohesion when using real papyrus plants. The bottom cotton can then be replaced by a thin paper towel that should be left afterward to insure the Papyrus is tightly held together.

Nowadays if you travel in Egypt and particularly in the region of Cairo, you are likely to see locals taking part in the different steps of papyrus paper-making nearly everywhere...

Like Comic Sans, the papyrus font has been marked by graphics designers as undesirable, mainly because of its predominance in availability for people who didn't go to school to become fancy-pants designers.

The font itself is used anywhere that old, antique, middle eastern or simply Egyptian look is desired.

Papyrus is just one font of many antique fonts available for use. The overuse is what has killed its appeal to people who care about that sort of thing.

Like Comic Sans, the internet's reaction to Papyrus is a meme. The reaction has been so great it's even spilled over into fonts that just look similar.

Pa*py"rus (?), n.; pl. Papyri (#). [L., fr. Gr. . See Paper.]

1. Bot.

A tall rushlike plant (Cyperus Papyrus) of the Sedge family, formerly growing in Egypt, and now found in Abyssinia, Syria, Sicily, etc. The stem is triangular and about an inch thick.

2.

The material upon which the ancient Egyptians wrote. It was formed by cutting the stem of the plant into thin longitudinal slices, which were gummed together and pressed.

3.

A manuscript written on papyrus; esp., pl., written scrolls made of papyrus; as, the papyri of Egypt or Herculaneum.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.