Creator Glen A. Larson, a member of the LDS church, scattered various ideas of mormonism into the Battlestar Galactica series....

  • In Battlestar Galactica, twelve tribes of man founded the Twelve Colonies after departing from Kobol. A lost thirteenth colony colonized Earth. In The Book of Mormon, around 600 BC, the prophet Lehi took a remnant of the tribe of Joseph from Jerusalem to ancient America, during the time of the Babylonian captivity and the scattering of the twelve tribes of Israel.
  • In "Lost Planet of the Gods", mankind is said to have originated from Kobol, the mother world of all humans. Kobol is an anagram of 'Kolob', which is the star "nearest unto the throne of God" (see The Book of Abraham, Ch. 3, found in The Pearl of Great Price.)
  • The "War of the Gods" episode, which featured Count Iblis and the Ship of Lights, introduces various elements of LDS teachings. One of the lights implies that the universe is bound by the Law of Free Agency: "We cannot interfere with freedom of choice. His, yours, anyone's." Even Count Iblis is bound, for he has only control over those who had "freely given him dominion." Those who accepted Iblis' words were willing to follow him blindly provided he guaranteed their safety. According to the Mormon account of creation (The Book of Moses, Ch. 4, found in The Pearl Of Great Price), God cast Satan out of heaven partly because he "sought to destroy the agency of man."
  • The beings on the Ship of Lights are highly evolved brothers of man, and may also be the founders of Kobol. The phrase "As you are now, we once were; as we are now, you may become" is a rewording of a Lorenzo Snow quote: "As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become." This is an important component of the doctrine of Eternal Progression. According to LDS beliefs, all humans are children of God, who is Himself an exalted man. By following God's laws, a believer can enter the path to godhood.
  • When they were wed, Adama sealed Apollo and Serina with these words: "A union between this man and this woman not only for now but for all the eternities." In a LDS temple marriage, a couple is sealed for "time and all eternity."
  • There is a similarity in the political structures of the Colonies and the LDS church. Both bodies have a Council (or Quorum) of the Twelve, and a President.
Paraphrased from the Battlestar Galactica FAQ

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.