An organization that recently targeted a cable television crime series piqued my curiosity. I wanted to know more about them. They are The Parents Television Council.

The PTC, as they are referred to in articles, has quite an interesting website. They're very clear about what they're all about as well as what they hope to accomplish.

Their mission, they say, is to bring America's demand for positive, family-oriented television progamming to the entertainment industry. Established in 1995, this non-partisan group now has 717,000 members and continues to grow every day.

This website greets you with how many instances there were of sexual situations and/or dialogue, violence and foul language between 8-9PM of the previous week. This hour is considered The Family Hour.

Containing links to everything from "Take Action', the section of the website that challenges you to get involved, to "Campaigns" where the shows that are being targeted are described in detail, to their Community Forum, where one can register, log in and discuss issues with other members, this site is enough to make anyone sit up and take notice.

The section I found most interesting was the "Find a Show Rating."
This is where shows are listed alphabetically. You choose a show from the drop-down box and press the "go" button and you find how that show rates for sex, language and violence. It also gives an overall rating for that show, along with a complete list of information about the show, including its advertisers.

In a press release dated November 16, 2001, L. Brent Bozell, President and Founder of the PTC, said "Goodbye and Good Riddance." to Howard Stern.

The show met its demise thanks to a past campaign waged by The Parents Television Council.

"Finally, the death knell has sounded for the televised Howard Stern Radio Show, said Bozell.
"We are gratified to see this trash-filled show gone."

Source: http://www.parentstv.org/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.