Up to the 20 districts | Up to the map of the buildings and sites in Paris

The 14th district is a quiet residential district. Its main feature is the Montparnasse area.

Population was 132,844 in 1990 (9th most populated district) and land area is 5.62 km2 (9th largest district). Here is the map:


                        6th         5th

                Boulevard du Montparnasse
               -------\--------|---------
   Tour Montp./        \       |         \
             /----------\      |          \
        Gare /    Cim.   \    |           \
      Montp./\    Montp.  \   |     Obs.   \
           /  \a           \  |             \
           /   \v          Place  __________\
          /     \.       Denfert-R           \
 15th    /       \d          |                \
         /        \u         |                \        13th
        /           \M       |                 \
        /            \a      |                 \
       /              \i     |                  \
       /               \n    |                   \
      /                 \e  |                    \
      /                  \  |                     \
     /                    \ |                      \
     /---------------rue-d'Alésia------------------\
    /                       |                       \
    /                       |                        \
   /                        |                  Parc  \
   /                      Porte             Montsouris\
  '---------------------d'Orleans----------------------`

  Malakoff               Montrouge              Gentilly

Top direction is north-west. Everything in italics is located outside the district.

Montparnasse

Montparnasse extends over the 6th, 14th and 15th districts. The 200m Montparnasse building and the Montparnasse train station are located in the 15th district, but the 14th district contains probably the most interesting parts of Montparnasse.

Montparnasse was famous in the beginning of the century because the most famous artists and writers lived or hanged around there, after they left Montmartre. The majority of great European artists came to Paris then.

You can still see many artist studios, for example in rue Froidevaux. But if you want to see artists and writers, go to the Montparnasse cemetary, where many of them are buried, for example Baudelaire (with his adoptive father), Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir. The cemetary also contains many sculptures (or copies).

Montparnasse is one of the main night-life areas in Paris (others are Saint-Michel, Châtelet-Halles, Pigalle and Champs-Elysées). The north-west corner of the district contains the biggest concentration of cinemas in Paris. The same area is also filled with Breton crêperies (pancake bars), probably because the trains from Bretagne arrive at the nearby Montparnasse station. A little south from there, the rue de la Gaîté contains many theaters, and even more sex-shops.

And also...

The rest of the district is a vast residential area, of which there is little to say. Place Denfert-Rochereau is famous for a big bronze lion by Auguste Bartholdi (who also designed the Statue of Liberty), and the entrance of the Paris catacombs, an incredible underground castle of skulls and bones.

One of the weirdest squares in Paris is Place de Séoul, which is entirely surrounded by a circular building which facade is made of greek columns in glass. It's not easy to find. From the Montparnasse station, you need to go south to Place de Catalogne, then continue to place de l'abbé Lebeuf, and turn right. Place de Catalogne and Place de Séoul were built by Ricardo Bofill in the 80s.

Finally, the Parc de Montsouris, in the south-east corner of the district, is a pleasant English-style park with lawns and trees. It faces the Cité Universitaire, a sort of town for foreign students.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.