Up to the 20 districts | Up to the map of the buildings and sites in Paris

The 7th district hosts the government, the Parliament and the Eiffel Tower.

As always, let's start with the map:


                   8th                       1st
                    
            _--------------------__ La Se
          / _-------------------___`---__ine
        ./.-  P.Alma   """   A.Nat\---___`--.__
       / /             """        \\     ---___`--
16th  / /              """         \\ Orsay   /---
     / /""             """          \\        /
    / /Eiff T.         """           \`_     /
   / / """"""          """            -_`-_  /
  / /\    """""     Invalides           `-_`___ 
 / /   \     """""                         `--- Bd.St-Germain
  /      \     Ec.Mil                      /     
 /         \                               /    6th
             \                            /           
               \                        /                 
     15th        \                    /                    
                   \                /                       
                     \    _       /
                       \_- \    /
                            \_/

Everything in italics on the map is outside the district. Parks and lawns are indicated with series of double quotes (""").

Population was 56,985 in 1990 (8th least populated district), and land area is 4.09 km2 (9th largest district). The 7th district is the most expensive district in Paris, and the most boring to live in. It contains only one movie theater (in a Japanese pagoda, near the Invalides), no theater as far as I know and no night club. To find an open grocery at 12 pm is probably as difficult as to find wood on the Eiffel Tower. If you plan to live in Paris, try somewhere else.

Along the Seine

The Eiffel Tower has been noded by several people, including me, so I don't need to describe it. The Champ-de-Mars is a very long field which extends from the Tower to the Ecole Militaire, the largest barracks in Paris.

Walking north-east along the Seine, you'll get to Pont de l'Alma. Diana died on the other end of the bridge, in the 8th district. On this side, you may visit the Sewer Museum, where you will dream about going farther and visiting the Paris catacombs.

From Pont de l'Alma, you should go and see Jules Lavirotte's Art Nouveau building at 29, avenue Rapp. It's not as beautiful as Guimard's houses in the 16th district, but the ornaments of flowers and animals burst with strange symbols. Go and see it.

East of Pont de l'Alma, the Hôtel des Invalides points its beautiful dome to the sky. It was built by Napoleon for his soldiers and hosts the Museum of the Army now. From the Invalides to the Seine, the Parisians gather together on a long lawn from the first sunny days of May in order to get their suntan ready for the summer holidays.

Then you'll get the Assemblée Nationale, the most important Chamber of the Parliament, facing Place de la Concorde. It's less beautiful inside than the Senate in the 6th district.

Further on the east, a former train station hosts the Musée d'Orsay. Not only the museum contains a very rich collection of late 19th century art (particularly Impressionism), but the building is very beautiful and deserves to be visited for itself.

Getting back to the center of the district, you'll cross a desert area where you will see more French national flags than human beings: most of the government departments have their offices between rue Saint-Dominique and rue de Varenne. The Prime Minister has the largest private garden of Paris here in Hôtel Matignon (not to be confused with avenue Matignon in the 8th district).

Not all the buildings are used by the government. If you have read Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time, then have a walk in these streets and imagine dinners and balls in these mansions 100 years ago: this is what Proust called the faubourg Saint-Germain.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.