Up to the 20 districts | Up to the map of the buildings and sites in Paris

The Phantom of the Opera is a legend, but the women in the bars at Pigalle are real. The 9th district is also one of the rare place in Paris where you can find newspapers and food 24 hours a day.


    .____          18th              _____      
   '     ----____          _____-----    |
   |             ----.-----              | 
   |             Pigalle                 | 
   |               V.Massé               |
   |                                    | 
   |                                    | 
   |                                    | 
   |                                 __-- 
Laz|  Trinité                    __--   | 
   |                         __--       | 
   |                     __--           | 
8th|                 __--              '    10th
   |             __--  Richer          | 
   |_        __--                      | 
   | ----___-_           Fbg           | 
   |     Opé  -----_____ Montm         |
   |       ____----     -----_____     |
Mad|___---- Av                    -----|
             Opé    2nd

Everything in italics is outside the district. The 9th district is the 7th least populated district in Paris with 55,838 inhabitants in 1990. It's the 6th smallest district (2.18 km2).

Night life

For night life in the 9th district, try the boulevards. Either on the first ring of boulevards which separates the 9th district from the 2nd district on the south, or on the second ring which marks the frontier with the 18th district on the north. On the south boulevards, starting at Madeleine, you will walk along the Olympia, the most prestigious stage for popular music in Paris, and the recently renovated Opera House, best seen from Avenue de l'Opéra in the 2nd district.

East of Opera, the cinemas, restaurants, cafés and banks occupy almost all the buildings until the eastern end of the district and beyond. The corner of rue du Faubourg Montmartre is a good place to find a sandwich at 3 a.m. Note that you are not in Montmartre here. The street only goes towards Montmartre.

The northern limit of the district is a part of Pigalle and is specialized in hostess bars. If you are a musician, go to rue Victor Massé, the first street parallel to the boulevard, dedicated to music shops.

The center of the district is mostly a residential area. Noticeable things include the theaters, and also an important Jewish quarter in rue Richer. Right in the middle of this quarter stand Folies-Bergère, a famous cabaret often featured in American musicals: see for example Roy del Ruth's "Folies-Bergère", with the great Maurice Chevalier.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.