A type of political system which has the legislature and the executive in the same institution.

For example, in the UK the Prime Minister is a member of the House of Commons and also the head of the government.

This is unlike the USA's model where the executive (The President) is seperate from the legislature (the House of Representatives and the Senate). This sort of model is called a presidential system.

The parliamentary system has benefits over the presidential system (as well having some problems). The main benfit is that action can be taken very quickly and legislation is passed quickly and much more easily than in the presidential system.

However, there is an issue over the undemocratic nature of the parliamentary system since the Prime Minister has the ability to become an elected dictator and, theoretically, take over power from the rest of government.

Par`lia*men"ta*ry (?), a. [Cf. F. parlementaire.]

1.

Of or pertaining to Parliament; as, parliamentary authority.

Bacon.

2.

Enacted or done by Parliament; as, a parliamentary act.

Sir M. Hale.

3.

According to the rules and usages of Parliament or of deliberative bodies; as, a parliamentary motion.

Parliamentary agent, a person, usually a solicitor, professionally employed by private parties to explain and recommend claims, bills, etc., under consideration of Parliament. [Eng.] -- Parliamentary train, one of the trains which, by act of Parliament, railway companies are required to run for the conveyance of third-class passengers at a reduced rate. [Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.