Traditional Baltic Easter pudding. The original recipe required 2 egg yolks and one egg white, but as there is no cooking involved, the recipe has been adapted, since eating raw eggs is not really advisable. In England this type of pudding is sometimes called ‘paska’ or pashka, and you are most welcome to do so, but just don’t expect me to eat it with a straight face. ‘Paska’ in Finnish is…err… not something you would like to consume. (Implications left as an exercise for the reader).

Ingredients

1 lb ( 450 g ) ricotta cheese
1/2 lb ( 225 g ) double cream
4 oz caster sugar
2 oz unsalted butter
2 oz chopped candied orange and lemon peel
grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon (unwaxed ororganic)
2 oz chopped almonds
2 oz chopped raisins
a few drops vanilla extract or vanilla pod

You also need 1 clean flowerpot and some muslin. (You know it’s going to be a good dish if the recipe begins like that!)

Method

Beat the butter until soft. Add sugar, vanilla extract, grated rinds and the ricotta cheese, mixing it well. Now add the chopped candied fruit, almonds and raisins. Whip the cream and fold into mixture. Line the flowerpot with the muslin and add the cheese mixture and press down firmly. Fold the muslin over the pudding and place a saucer with some weights over it. Put the pot on a saucer and refrigerate over night, excess liquid will drip out at hole in the bottom. Turn pot upside down and place onto a serving dish.

Pasch (?), Pas"cha (?), n. [AS. pascha, L. pascha, Gr. , fr. Heb. pesach, fr. pasach to pass over: cf. OF. pasque, F. paque. Cf. Paschal, Paas, Paque.]

The passover; the feast of Easter.

Pasch egg. See Easter egg, under Easter. -- Pasch flower. See Pasque flower, under Pasque.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.