Otherwise known as "Pat Bateman" by his mates. He’s a financial consultant on Wall Street, New York. 26 years of age. He’s handsome, charming, sophisticated, and popular externally from workplace and internally and demands the highest of standards E.g. Food, woman, pleasure and leisure. A Total psychopath who finds pleasure in torturing animals, woman and young girls that turns him on sexually. A total metal head case that is obsessed with serial killers like Ed Gein, Ted Bundy, Son Of Sam and the Boston Strangler. His charms and sophistication hides the dark side of Patrick Bateman from his friends and relatives. He once said “When I see a girl, one side of me wants to take her out to dinner. Talk to her, get to know her, make her laugh, enjoy and savour the evening with her while the other side of me is wondering what her head would look like on a stick”. Want to know more about Pat Bateman? Then read the great novel “American Psycho” by Bret Easton Ellis.

Who runs a perl script every time he logs in, that checks Slashdot for stories posted within a certain timeframe, and if there are any meeting this specification, posts the reply:

Imagine...

...A Beowulf cluster of these.

Thankyou.

If anyone dares criticize him, he retorts with Pat Bateman's Genesis monologue from American Psycho.

Ranks alongside OOG_THE_CAVEMAN in the list of people who make /. interesting.

Patrick Bateman is a very misunderstood character. Admittedly he commits acts of violence so horrific that it is often hard to keep turning the pages of American Psycho, but his violent behavious is just a symptom of his inhuman condition. He represents the epitome of self-indulgence - the 1980s greed is good ethos taken to the nth degree. Instead of deriving an anti-moral pleasure from his killing he is rather an amoral individual who simply seeks to indulge himself on every whim. This inevitably leads to boredom causing him to escalate his behaviour.

His character is particularly fascinating because he is at once appalling and appealing, and the reader is both a spectator to his terrible deeds and his confidant. Were it not for the masses and masses of indescribably horrible violence he would be a rather charming but depressed young protagonist and a poster child for burned out 80's executives. In a way he is an empty vessel taught to consume and indulge, and it is the society around him that must be condemned for the results.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.