Democratic Senator from Vermont

Patrick Leahy was born in Montpelier in 1940. He attended Saint Michael’s College in Colchester for his undergraduate degree (1962) and earned his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center (1964).

Patrick Leahy is in his fifth senate term. He was first elected to the senate in 1974 at the age of 34, making him the youngest senator to be elected from the state of Vermont and the only Democrat. Before being elected to the senate he served for eight years as Chittenden County’s State’s Attorney. While State’s Attorney he was selected as one of three outstanding prosecutors in the United States.

He and his wife, Marcelle Pomerleau Leahy have been married for 37 years. They have a daughter, two sons, two daughters-in-law and a grandson. They live on a tree farm in Vermont

The Senator is active in the fight to ban landmines. In 1992, Leahy wrote the first law by any government to ban the export of these weapons. He is also active in environmental issues, and has proposed a bill the Innocence Protection Act of 2001, to decrease the chance than an innocent person will be executed in the future. He was also a leading opponent of the Communications Decency Act*.

His Committees:

His website and contact information:
Telephone: (202) 224-4242
Homepage: http://www.senate.gov/~leahy/
Online contact: mailto:senator_leahy@leahy.senate.gov
Office: Room 433 in Russell Senate Office Building

*Thanks to qousqous for mentioning this to me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.