Australian post-modern novelist, short story writer and playwright who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1973. As of 2000, he is the only Australian to have received this honor. Born in England in 1912, educated at Cambridge and serving in the RAF during World War 2, some Australians consider Mr. White 'unAustralian,' but are simply unable to appreciate how accuately he depicts the collective Australian psyche. His works are saturated with emotion, sometimes being nearly unreadable for their startling accuracy and poignancy. He has been criticized (by no one less than his long-time gardener, whom the protagonist of A Cheery Soul is based on) for ‘inaccuarate characterizations of women,’ owing to his being a homosexual. I don’t agree with this viewpoint, especially after having read The Eye of the Storm which focuses, in part, on the reminiscences and last weeks of an elderly woman. Mr. White was often quoted as saying that it is the 'eccentric individuals who offer the only hope of salvation.'

His works include:

Novels

Happy Valley
The Living and the Dead
The Aunt's Story
The Tree of Man
Voss
Riders in the Chariot
The Solid Mandala
The Vivisector
The Eye of the Storm
A Fringe of Leaves
The Twyborn Affair
Memoirs of Many in One

Plays

The Ham Funeral
The Cheery Soul
A Season at Sarsaparilla
Big Toys
Netherwood
Signal Driver
Shepherd on the Rocks

Other Writings

The Burnt Ones: Clay
Down at the Dump
The Night the Prowler
The Cockatoos
Flaws in the Glass
Patrick White A Life
Patrick White Letters
Three Uneasy Pieces
Patrick White Speaks:
In The Making
A Prodigal Son
Australians in a Nuclear War
A Letter to Humanity

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.