Someone who loves his country, even to an irrational degree. Often the sort of person who can be manipulated into going overseas and getting killed for no good reason. Sometimes refers to the more admirable quality of someone who stands up to&foreign aggressors for the cause of freedom. See Thomas Paine or Samuel Adams.

The Patriot is also the name of a U.S. Surface-to-Air Missile which, it is claimed by the U.S. Military and Raytheon, the makers of the system, can shoot down incoming theater ballistic missiles such as the Scud. Unfortunately for them and anyone under one of these things, it has been fairly conclusively proven by some MIT physicists and their research team that in fact only one Patriot during the Gulf War can even be considered to have 'hit' its target, and that in fact it did not in any way prevent that missile from going on and detonating on the ground.

I don't want to sound like I think this system is worthless. On the contrary, doing what it was designed for (destroying incoming airplanes) it's hell on wheels!

In 1901, G. K. Chesterton published his first book of essays called The Defendant. In it, he wrote:
'My country, right or wrong,' is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, 'My mother, drunk or sober.'

Governments like patriots. Governments like the kind of patriots that are willing to support and carry out almost any of the governments' policies. Governments like the kind of patriots that require only superficial justifications as to why their policies are just.

However, this assumes that love of country is the same as love of the politicians that control that country. What does love of country really mean? Love of the land? Love of the culture? Love of a certain set of ideals? Love of the people?

In the case of military dictatorships that are willing to kill off large segments of the population in order to push a certain ideology, love of the government and love of the ideology come into conflict with love of the people.

In the case of the American Revolution, what many people would call "patriots" today were instead called Loyalists and Tories. "Patriot" was reserved as a label for those who loved the country's people and were willing to defend them from the actions of the government and various officials therein.

A Golden Age character of Marvel Comics (then known as Timely) revived by Roy Thomas.

Jeff Mace was a reporter who answered Bucky's call for more American heroes to fight Nazi spies in 1945. Donning a costume with the American Eagle emblazoned on his chest, he became the Patriot, leader of the Liberty Legion!

Though he had no super-powers, he was a skilled fighter and swore to combat evil just like his idol, Captain America.

In 1946, Jeff Mace was given the opportunity of his lifetime when he discovered the dying William Naslund, the former Spirit of '76 and the second Captain America. Donning the Red, White and Blue costume and the shield, Mace became the third Captain America, as well as the new leader of the All-Winners Squad.

However, Mace never did feel comfortable in his new role, and retired from his costumed career during the early 50s and went on to lead a regular life.

The former Patriot was later diagnosed with cancer and fell victim to it in 1982 with his hero, the original Captain America by his side (as seen in Captain America #285).

Pa"tri*ot (?), n. [F. patriote; cf. Sp. patriota, It. patriotto; all fr. Gr. a fellow-countryman, fr. established by forefathers, fr. father. See Father.]

One who loves his country, and zealously supports its authority and interests.

Bp. Hall.

Such tears as patriots shaed for dying laws. Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pa"tri*ot, a.

Becoming to a patriot; patriotic.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.