Folksy radio commentator -- definitely not a journalist. Born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, he started working in radio in 1933 and has stayed in the industry more-or-less continuously since then.

Harvey broadcasts a daily "News and Comment" show that actually contains almost no accurate news. Most of his show consists of urban legends reported as fact, rants against immigrants, foreigners, Democrats, and/or conservative bugaboo X, editorial slander thinly disguised as news reports, and Bose radio commercials. He also does a frequently inaccurate program called "The Rest of the Story." His broadcasts are syndicated nationwide, and he's credited with coining the terms "Reaganomics" and "guesstimate."

I worked in radio and news radio for years. I learned the skills of interviewing, accurate reporting, and how not to be a grandstanding editorializer. I hate Paul Harvey passionately for all the ways he's violated the news radio ethics that I worked hard to uphold, and I will dance a very merry jig on the day the old fucker dies.

UPDATE: As of February 28, 2009, Paul Harvey is dead, and I am indeed dancing a merry jig. The shriveled-up old motherfucker helped push news/talk radio into the ragefest it's become today. His career helped legitimize hateful voices like Limbaugh, Coulter, Savage, Malkin, Beck and all the rest.

Please feel free to burn in hell, Paul, you bloodthirsty, genocidal bigot.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.