Paul Signac, French painter (Paris 1863 - Paris 1935).

Paul Signac's best-known works were meticulously painted with a fine brush in brightly coloured dots, a method described by contemporary critics as "painted confetti" and "artistic smallpox". Along with his close friend Georges Seurat, Signac played a crucial role in the development of this new, radical style which, unlike Impressionism, emphasized discipline, elegance and harmony. Signac is therefore rather associated with the divisionism and pointillism movement, which we could also call post-impressionism or neo-impressionism , which he himself preferred. In 1899, Signac published From Delacroix to Neo-Impressionism, explaining his and Seurat's theories.

Unlike his friend, Paul Signac had virtually no formal training. He taught himself by studying the works of Claude Monet and others. His more abstract work was to influence young artists such as Henri Matisse, Wassily Kandinsky and Piet Mondriaan, as well as the fauvism and cubism styles of painting.

Signac's most significant paintings are Port St. Tropez and The Large Pine, Saint-Tropez. He painted landscapes mainly, applied in dots that were to be blended by the viewer's eye.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.