I read The Cat Ate My Gymsuit in 9th grade, or maybe it was 7th, and Paula Danziger was one of my favorite authors. I liked The Pistachio Prescription even better. I loved Can You Sue Your Parents For Malpractice?

She's also well known lately for the Amber Brown series. According to a recent interview, her first ten books are being reprinted now, which makes them accessible to a new generation of younger readers. I'm really glad.

She was born in Washington, DC, and raised in New York City. Since second grade she wanted to be a writer, but she began her career as a teacher - high school, junior high, and college.

After working as a teacher for a few years, Paula was injured in two back-to-back car accidents. The accident caused orthopedic problems and brought on dyslexia. During the recuperation process, she began thinking about her career and decided to get a master's degree in reading. Paula also decided to pursue a career as a writer. After all, with her luck, she would probably be hit by a truck next. Her first book was published after three years of hard work and four years after the accidents.

She hosts a segment on the BBC program "Live & Kicking," about children's books.

Editor's note. Born 18 August 1944, died 8 July 2004.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.