Pellucid, as Webster says, is an adjective meaning "transparently clear, easily understandable, transmitting light; able to be seen through with clarity".  Other definitions of pellucid are similar such as: "clear in meaning", "allowing all or most light to pass through (literally)", "admitting maximum passage of light without diffusion or distortion", and "reflecting light evenly from all surfaces".

Evelyn Waugh, a British Novelist once said, "One forgets words as one forgets names.  One's vocabulary needs constant fertilization or it will die."

An example of using pellucid in a sentence may be:  "The police officer's warning was pellucid: drivers must go the speed limit in school zones".  "It's pellucid to realize that you need keys to start your car", although, these days it's not very pellucid due to the fact that automotive companies have managed to create cars that start with a remote start button on the keychain.

Synonyms to pellucid are:

To change the mood a bit here are some other uses of pellucid:

  • In 1984, Jim Krogen who lives in Coconut Grove, Florida designed a yacht that was built in Taiwan and named PELLUCID.  It is called a 1984 Kadey-Krogen 38' shoal-draft cutter.  He says she wins few races but is a delightful cruiser in the shallow waters of the Florida Keys or the Bahamas.  He only produced 85 models of this yacht.  The below decks sleep 4 comfortably, 7 if they get along well, and the above decks have plenty of room for snoozing and cruising.
  • Pellucid is also "A Platform for Organizationalizing Mobile Public Employees" and is a Research and Development project serves as a European Commision's IST Programme.   This platform is going to be used to improve the organization's effectiveness and efficiency by preserving knowledge that each employee has gained, and retain it for further use when the employee moves on to another role, new department, or leaves the company.  In addition, the platform will support workers during their integration into a new department, by giving them access to specific knowledge and experience accumulated by past employees.

I hope that I've made this write-up pellucid for you and evoked a word you already knew back into your vocabulary with a bit of fertilization, as Evelyn Waugh said.


Sources:  http://dictionary.com
http://encarta.msn.com
http://www.sadiel.s/Europa/pellucid/welcome/htm

Pel*lu"cid (?), a. [L. pellucidus; per (see Per-) + lucidus clear, bright: cf. F. pellucide.]

Transparent; clear; limpid; translucent; not opaque.

"Pellucid crystal." Dr. H. More. "Pellucid streams." Wordsworth.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.