Born in Dec 7, 1932 at Helsinki. Linkola is a fisherman, columnist and writer. He's a hard-line environmentalist, and very pessimistic about the survival of the modern society.

He has said that World War III would be a 'happy occassion'.

Environmentalist, biologist, fisherman, misanthrope, deep ecologist, philosopher, and popular author in Finland -- where he is described as an "eco-fascist".

Pentti Linkola has lived alone in a lakeside cabin without electricity or running water since the late 1960's. He has devoted his life to analysis of the environmental situation and concluded that massive depopulation is the only way to avert an ambiguous but looming planetary disaster resulting in human extinction.

Like many isolated cranks, he finds solace in nautical metaphor -- a sinking ship with 100 passangers and a lifeboat that can only hold 10: "those who hate life try to pull more people on board and drown everybody. Those who love and respect life use axes to chop off the extra hands hanging onto the gunwale."

"We still have a chance to be cruel", he says, "But if we are not cruel today, all is lost." Linkola is a sworn enemy of Amnesty International.

Philosophical cousins: Theodore Kaczynski (AKA The Unabomber), and the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement (VHEMT).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.