The "Perfect Sound Forever" EP was Pavement's third release on Drag City (DC4). It was recorded in December 1989 at Louder Than You Think in Stockton, California, and released in 1991.

The tracklist is as follows:
1. Heckler Spray
2. From Now On
3. Angel Carver Blues / Mellow Jazz Docent
4. Drive-by Fader
5. Debris Slide
6. Home
7. Krell Vid-User
Please note: These tracks are collected on the Drag City release Westing (By Musket and Sextant).

Perfect Sound Forever was Sony's marketing tagline for the Compact Disc when it was introduced. They were pointing out that not only was this digital format better than anything else, but that the CDs last forever. Both of which are not true. CDs live about 15 years before the aluminum layer oxidizes and destroys the data.

The CD format, especially in the early years of it's existence, evinced what audiophiles today call "digititis" which a harsh glare and/or graininess in the treble that makes CDs fatiguing and unpleasant to listen to, especially on a high quality system. Though more recent recording and mastering techniques have tamed this problem to a degree, it takes a good engineer to really do it right. Additionally, many audiophiles prefer the sound of vinyl, saying that it is warmer, smoother and easier to listen to (on a good system). The phrase Perfect Sound Forever is now used derisively in the audio press to refer to the shortcomings of CDs and of digital systems in general. Though there is fond hope that new high resolution formats like SACD and DVD-Audio will redeem digital playback.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.