Peruvian Torch (Echinopsis Peruviana, Trichocereus Peruvianus) is a relative of the San Pedro cactus. It's flesh contains a number of psychoactive alkaloids, most notably mescaline, a powerful phenethylamine. Dried and living peruvian torch material is a available from a variety of ethnobotanical suppliers.

There are are several popular methods of preparing the cactus for ingestion, the most prevalent being alkaloid extraction via acid-base reaction as well as various techniques that soften the relatively hard dried flesh so as to facilitate chewing and/or stuffing into gelcaps

Speaking from personal experience, dried peruvian torch is extremely difficult to chew without having been softened and eating rehydrated flesh requires determination and a strong stomach, as the alkaloidal content makes the flesh overpoweringly bitter. The texture is comparable to mucus. For large doses of rehydrated flesh (50g plus), gelcaps are not a viable solution.

The effects of the plant are not entirely comparable to the more stimulant phenethylamines (e.g. MDMA, etc); the stimulant effect is less, though empathogenesis remains. The extent and complexity of the visuals is analagous to 2C-I et al, though in my opinion, the content couldn't be more different.

Whereas 2C-I or 2C-T-2 overlay my field of vision with a mesh of adirected (perhaps aimless) fractal-like complexity, my peruvian torch experiences were infused with a sense of drama and theme (both visually and with respect to the direction of my thoughts): Unfolding, contrapuntal cascades of instantly forgotten ideological interplay.

Though all of my peruvian torch trips were conducted in fairly large groups, i felt a need to disengage and adopted a position and posture that would minimize chance social interactions with my fellow trippers (in contrast to my behaviour on LSD)

A surprising and memorable vision i experienced on peruvian torch was that of a knotted wooden floor assuming the contours of a dune-filled desert, with overturned coke cans and upright beer bottles transformed into tumbleweed and cacti. Genetic memory imparted by the cactus meat or an externalization of the culture surrounding the consumption ritual? You decide.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.