(Sektion 2 : Philosophische Untersuchungen von Ludwig Wittgenstein).

Here Wittgenstein cleverly switches the context Augustine's copy theory of meaning. It was usually assumed that the concept of Bedeutung at play in Augustine's theory (and other copy theories of meaning) is a very basic and rudimentary picture of the way that language works, but that nonetheless it defines the essential features of human language and that we only require appropriate philosophical extrapolation and expansion of this picture to arrive at a complete working description of human language. Wittgenstein suggests that perhaps Augustine's picture is not a basic description of human language, but is instead a complete description of a language more basic than ours. One such language is the builder language described in the second paragraph.


2. Jener philosophische Begriff der Bedeutung ist in einer primitiven Vorstellung von der Art und Weise, wie die Sprache funktionert, zu Hause. Man kann aber auch sagen, es sei die Vorstellung einer primitiveren Sprache, als der unsern.

Denken wir uns eine Sprache, für die die Bescrheibung, wie Augustinus sie gegeben hat, stimmt: Die Sprache soll der Verständigung eines Bauenden A mit einem Gehilfen B dienen. A führt einen Bau auf aus Bausteinen: es sind Würfel, Säulen, Platten und Balken vorhanden. B hat ihm die Bausteine zuzureichen, und zwar nach der Reihe, wie A sie braucht. Zu dem Zweck bedienen sie sich einer Sprache, bestehend aus den Wörtern: "Würfel", "Säule", "Platte", "Balken". A ruft sie aus;--B bringt den Stein, den er gelernt hat, auf diesen Ruf zu bringen.--Fasse dies als vollständinge primitiave Sprache auf.


2. That philosophical concept of reference is at home in a primitive representation of the sort and manner in which language functions. But one can also say that it is a representation of a language more primitive than ours.

Let us imagine a language for which the description Augustine has given is right: The language should serve the communiction for a builder A with an assistant B. A is creating a building out of building-stones: there are blocks, pillars, slabs, and beams at hand. B has to pass the stones, and in the order that A needs them. For this purpose they use a language consisting of these words: "block", "piller", "slab", "beam". A calls them out;--B brings the stone that he has learned to bring at this call.--Conceive this as a complete primitive language.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.