"Dyed red hair, a forest green dress and a pair of kitchen knives. It was the last time I ever saw a rose."


Virginia-based grindcore band formed in 1997 by grindcore vets J.R. Hayes as the lead vocalist and songwriter, Scott Hull on guitars, and John Evans the drummer. After the release of their self-titled demo album and a string of successful East Coast tours, John left the band and was replaced by fellow Enemy Soil member, Brian Harvey. They continued touring and later released their first full-length album Explosions In Ward 6. The record cemented the band as a premiere grindcore act and soon found themselves playing alongside legendary grindcore/metal bands like Discordance Axis, Capitalist Casualties, and Dillinger Escape Plan.

The band signed with Relapse in 2000 and worked on a split 7" with labelmates, Isis. Later that same year, Relapse compiled the entire Pig Destroyer discography including demos, covers, and a re-mastered edition of Explosions In Ward 6, into one whole album which was later known as 38 Counts Of Battery. The release of the album made Pig Destroyer even more popular and adorned in the grindcore scene, being invited to play at the CBGB's and other well-known festivals.

A year later they followed it with the release of quite possibly their best-selling work to date - Prowler In The Yard. Aside from the controversial album cover drawn by famous tattoo artist Paul Booth, the album saw J.R. Hayes change his songwriting philosophy from political to a more poetic style using layers and layers of metaphors, vivid colours, and images to hide an underlying cryptic yet painful message. Scott Hull's guitar work is heavier than ever, and Brian Harvey trashes away on his drumkit baffling fans and making them think like its someone toying around with a drum machine.

The band is still active today, touring from time to time, working on other projects such as Agoraphobic Nosebleed, and continues to be a force to be reckoned with in the world of grindcore.

DISCOGRAPHY:

  • S/T demo - 1997 (self released)
  • Split 7" with Orchid - 1997 (Amendment)
  • Explosions In Ward 6 - 1998 (Clean Plate)
  • Picture Disc 7" - 2000 (Reptilian)
  • Split 7" with Gnob - 2000 (Robodog)
  • Split 7" with Isis - 2000 (Relapse)
  • 38 Counts Of Battery - 2000 (Relapse)
  • 38 Counts Of Battery Tour CD-R - 2000 (Relapse)
  • Prowler In The Yard - 2001 (Relapse)
  • Split 3" with Benumb - 2002 (Robodog)

WEBSITES:

  • http://www.pigdestroyerboard.tk
  • http://www.collias.com/pdnetwork/
  • http://www.relapse.com
  • http://www.cleanplate.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.