A ballet term meaning, pricked or pricking. Done by stepping directly on the point or demi-pointe of the working foot in any direction or position with the other
foot in the air.

Pique (?), n. Zool.

The jigger. See Jigger.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pique (?), n. [F., fr. piquer. See Pike.]

1.

A feeling of hurt, vexation, or resentment, awakened by a social slight or injury; irritation of the feelings, as through wounded pride; stinging vexation.

Men take up piques and displeasures. Dr. H. More.

Wars had arisen . . . upon a personal pique. De Quincey.

2.

Keenly felt desire; a longing.

Though it have the pique, and long, 'Tis still for something in the wrong. Hudibras.

3. Card Playing

In piquet, the right of the elder hand to count thirty in hand, or to play before the adversary counts one.

Syn. -- Displeasure; irritation; grudge; spite. Pique, Spite, Grudge. Pique denotes a quick and often transient sense of resentment for some supposed neglect or injury, but it is not marked by malevolence. Spite is a stronger term, denoting settled ill will or malice, with a desire to injure, as the result of extreme irritation. Grudge goes still further, denoting cherished and secret enmity, with an unforgiving spirit. A pique is usually of recent date; a grudge is that which has long subsisted; spite implies a disposition to cross or vex others.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pique, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Piqued (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Piquing (?).] [F. piquer. See Pike.]

1.

To wound the pride of; to sting; to nettle; to irritate; to fret; to offend; to excite to anger.

Pique her, and soothe in turn. Byron.

2.

To excite to action by causing resentment or jealousy; to stimulate; to prick; as, to pique ambition, or curiosity.

Prior.

3.

To pride or value; -- used reflexively.

Men . . . pique themselves upon their skill. Locke.

Syn. -- To offend; displease; irritate; provoke; fret; nettle; sting; goad; stimulate.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pique, v. i.

To cause annoyance or irritation.

"Every erse hath something in it that piques."

Tatler.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pi`qué" (?), n. [F., p.p. of piquer to prick.]

A cotton fabric, figured in the loom, -- used as a dress goods for women and children, and for vestings, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.