Pirochian Fire Flower (AKA 'Propmethian Dandruff' or 'The Pirochian Saltrap' is a rare subspecies of Liliaceae Thaumase (Liliacae Pyros) found primarily in the volcanically active Pirochian south east.

The plant thrives in heat and grows mostly along the mouths of active volcanoes, occasionally sprouting inside the volcano proper. The rhizomatous roots of the average plant are one to three miles long, and tend to leech into the volcano's throat, winding along the edges and absorbing both the heat and volcanic gases.

The average bloom is five to five and a half inches in diameter when closed, with an eight to ten inch diameter while open. The actual flower of the Liliacae Pyros rests close to the ground with no apparent stem. The shape of it shape closely resembles that of a tulip. Often times, the bloom is streaked red, orange and yellow (though breeders have taken to intentionally crossbreeding plants in order to gain full-colored specimen). Upon closer inspection, the edges of each petal are lined with small but sturdy teeth. When the flower is closed, the petals catch on to one another, ensuring small prey cannot escape.

The Pirochian Fire Flower is the only carnivorous member of the Liliaceae family. Its main food source are the common salamanders that thrive within the volcano’s vent. At sunset, the petals open up, revealing the fiery core. The salamanders are then attracted to the edible flame nestled within the petals. Gases released by the inner flame sedate the unfortunate salamanders, and once they are within range, the petals rise up and engulf them. The salamander is then quickly broken down and devoured.

The Pirochian Fire Flower is harvested as both a revolutionary culinary ingredient and as a festive decorative piece. Despite serious burn risk associated with touching the flowers, local villages have gotten rich off harvesting the plant and selling to the overseas market.

Floraquest
Do. . . do I really have to tell you it's not real?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.