The Pixie is the name of the saddest haircut of all. I shall do my best to describe it here, but unless you were a sentient being in the early to mid 1970s it is unlikely I can do it justice.

From back to front:
Though this is a short haircut, there is a little fringe at the back of the neck - ala Carol Brady. The length of this fringe is usually about an inch.

One of the most important parts of the Pixie is showing off the ears - always a grade school girl's best feature! The hair is cut high over the ears and then into points - like sideburns but pointy right in front.

Now imagine those two pointy sideburns as the sides of a heart shape. The bangs are cut into the top of the heart - point in the middle of the forehead and all.

Never has a haircut sent more women into therapy from childhood trauma as the Pixie.

A race of small, flying humanoids in fantasy fiction and role-playing games. Pixies are notorious troublemakers and like to play tricks and pranks on others. Pixies often have magical abilities such as turning invisible or creating illusions of sight and sound.

In 3rd Edition D&D Pixies are a sub-section of fey, who are reclusive and good creatures who try to fight evil.

Some information taken from the 3rd Edition D&D Monster Manual, published by Wizards of the Coast.

Pix"y, Pix"ie (?), n.; pl. Pixies (#). [For Pucksy, from Puck.]

1.

An old English name for a fairy; an elf.

[Written also picksy.]

2. Bot.

A low creeping evergreen plant (Pyxidanthera barbulata), with mosslike leaves and little white blossoms, found in New Jersey and southward, where it flowers in earliest spring.

Pixy ring, a fairy ring or circle. [Prov. Eng.] -- Pixy stool Bot., a toadstool or mushroom. [Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.