According to the web page I found this on, the following recipe was taken from an article in Mothering Magazine, September 1983.

Ingredients

  1. 1 placenta
  2. 1 potato, peeled and cubed
  3. 1/4 cup fresh parsley
  4. 2 carrots
  5. 3 stalks of celery
  6. 1 large tomato
  7. 1 small onion
  8. 1 Tbsp flour
  9. 1 tsp salt
  10. 1/2 tsp paprika
  11. pinch of cloves
  12. pinch of pepper
  13. 6-8 crushed coriander seeds
  14. 2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Equipment

  1. cutting board and cooking knife
  2. sautee pan
  3. small paper bag
  4. stew pot
  5. Kitchen range

Preparation

  1. Cut all of your vegetables above into bite-sized pieces and set aside
  2. Cut the meat away from the membranes on your placenta. Unless you want to make sausages, discard the membranes.
  3. Cut your placenta into bite-sized chunks
  4. Fill the paper bag with the flour, salt, paprika, cloves, pepper, and coriander seeds. Drop in the pieces of placenta and shake the bag so that they all get thoroughly coated with the mixture.
  5. Sautee the placenta in the oil, then drop it in the pot.
  6. Add the vegetables and 4-5 cups of water.
  7. Bring the mixture to a full boil, then simmer for one hour.
Serves two loving parents.

DMan: Superstitions aside, Placenta is actually quite nutritious. It is what the developing fetus uses as a repository of vitamins and energy. Many animals eat their own placentas after giving birth for just this reason.

Recipes using placentas, embryos and even aborted fetuses of not only the human variety but also of animals were common in Asia right up to now. The Asian belief that you absorb what you eat was literally applied to these yummy little dishes, and soups made from fetuses were given to sterile or pregnant women, supposedly to help them with their condition. Nasty business. In Hong Kong two years ago, the police busted a ring of fetus runners selling their wares for insanely high prices to pharmacies around Asia. Apparently the main source was Japan, where for some reason the birth control pill was still not been legalized, and millions of abortions are performed every year. On a sidenote, Viagra was approved in six months. How ridiculous is that?

It doesn't stop there. Recipes involving the male genetalia of animals were widely consumed for men who are either impotent or desiring a better sex drive. Common animals included tiger and deer. Again, the belief that consuming the essence of another's penis, be it human or not, was supposed to increase your libido. Right......

Just the more macabre side of the story, because it involves the groinal region. It applies to all body parts. For example, pig brain soup was supposed make you smarter. My mother ate that as a kid, it had no obvious effect on her intellect or her grades. I hate superstitions.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.