In the Canterbury Tales, the Plowman is a very hard working man. He is an example of the ideal middle class citizen.

He pays all his Church taxes on time, and is a very devoted churchgoer. It can be inferred from this that he would gladly work for a person without pay.

The Plowman is very well liked because he treats his neighbors as he would want to be treated. He is a decent human being, and portrays a hard-working and devoted citizen.

In the Canterbury tales there’s no actual physical description of the Plowman but it says that he lives in "perfect charity".

This means that money and materialistic things aren’t of strong value to him, so we wouldn’t expect him to be fancifully dressed. Also, the Plowman works in the fields planting corn, digging, and spreading manure. These all strongly suggest that he looks like a hard-working, peasant farmer.

Plow"man, Plough"man (?), n.; pl. -men ().

1.

One who plows, or who holds and guides a plow; hence, a husbandman.

Chaucer. Macaulay.

2.

A rustic; a countryman; a field laborer.

Plowman's spikenard Bot., a European composite weed (Conyza squarrosa), having fragrant roots.

Dr. Prior.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.